Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #1

Cell Booster through Cable Input

Quick question:

Is there anything preventing me from using the coaxial cable for the satellite/cable on the outside of the trailer for a cellphone booster instead? Thanks.
KyleRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #2

I'm not clear on what you're asking

Can you give a little more detail on what you want to do?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #3

Should work fine. My coax in my trailer is RG6, I would assume yours is as well.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 AM   #4

Yeah, sorry,

I basically want to use one of these: Cell Phone Boosters

But instead of drilling a coaxial cable through the trailer, I was hoping I could just use the cable/satellite in on the exterior of the trailer for the antenna and connect the interior portion of the repeater where it comes into the trailer. Since I don't use cable/satellite, I was hoping this was a functional use for that.

Hopefully that make sense.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #5

I have experimented with it and found the reception the same as wired directly to the antenna. I just used reception as a gauge. No meters or test equipment. Never went farther because I want to be able to hook up to cable when available. I have satellite prep on the roof but cant seem to find directions or advice on how to expose the wires. Got measurements of where to find it but no further directions. Started a thread asking but no help. This is the direction I want to go but I just haven't gotten the nerve to go farther.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:58 AM   #6

I can't speak specifically to what you are asking but, I recently ripped all the coax out of my trailer after getting frustrated with an aftermarket satellite system I was trying to get operational.

I found some serious head scratching routing of existing cable, some yet to be explained splitters, and about 50 feet of bunched up coax zip tied behind a wall.

I ran all new runs of solid copper RG 6 for both satellite and cable TV as well as quality F Connectors and new inputs.

My reception / satellite issues have vanished. If you are going to try and use the existing wire I would be aware that there may be similar issues in your camper.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #7

Assuming everything is ran correctly it should work. I have multiple coax outlets in my living room. I unhooked 1 of them from the splitter and used that line for my home booster. It worked great. I used a Weboost booster. My home is much like an RV in that I have steel roof and siding. I would go from 4g outside to nothing inside. With the booster I can now get 4g inside the house.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #8

Yes

Both booster antennae and cable TV coax are normally RG6, same characteristics, so you should be good to go...

You might, however want to check the connector styles... cable TV uses a Type F connector, and some boosters use a Type N.

Try to keep the cable run as short as possible, with as few "joints" as you can - and that includes adaptors, etc.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

If you do purchase this unit, please post an update/review of how it works for you. I'd also like to get a booster and am looking at the weBoost and SureCall. At a third of the cost, the ProuTone might be a better option.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #10

Just to follow up on my own post...

The Proutone unit that you linked, has "N" Type connectors.
These are not the same as the cable TV points on the outside or inside of our trailer, so you will either need 2 adaptors or 2 "hybrid" cables, N to F.

The cables would be preferable, as the two adaptors will introduce more signal losses

Old 08-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #11

I had not considered this, thought it was coaxial. I guess I'll have to route a hole somewhere and silicone it or just run it through a window and disconnect it while I'm gone.... Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #12

I'll let you know how it works. I did make sure it was the right one for the towers near me so hopefully it works well once I figure out how I'm going to wire it into the trailer.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

I’ve been debating going with either a cell booster or the Nighthawk M1 MiMo setup. In either case I want to use external antennas. I really don’t want to drill holes in the RV, so I’m trying to evaluate options. One idea I had is to install a SS plate on top of the plastic fridge housing on the roof, and then use a magnetic base antenna. Would allow me to move when I store the RV. Thinking of running the cable down the side of the awning arm, and then into the fridge vent on the side. This would allow me to run the cable up the side wall and mount the unit on the other side. Heck, I could then even sore it behind the plastic fridge cover when I part it between trips.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #14

I looked up the booster... Looks like it uses a 50-ohm impedance cabling.

Note that RG-6 is 75-ohm.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post

Yes, I will have to route the cable somehow as my original plan will obviously not work.... All things I should of looked into prior. I may just return the product and enjoy my limited spotty service . The idea of routing wires or drilling a hole sounds altogether unpleasant.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:

That's a good catch!

Will it *work* - yeah probably.
Will it be optimal - will it send the most amount of signal down the line? Probably not.

Plus the other comments about splitters in line, length of runs, kinks, loops - all could degrade the signal.

All of that said - I'd probably *try* it and see if I get acceptable results.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Good catch, I missed that
Old 09-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

As a ham radio guy, I would not mix the cell phone and rg6 cables. Using the 75 ohm cable might work but instantly gives you an SWR of 1.5:1. You want it as close to 1:1 as possible.

What brought me here was my search for a way into my RV with my cell phone booster. I would lile to mount it on top of the ladder and put the booster in the A/V cabinet under the TV. Im thinking of drilling up through the bottom in to the cabinet. We have a 26.5 BHS so there should be no plumbing close by. Maybe propane but I will pull back the underside and look. If anyone can think of a reason not to go this route let me know.
VE6CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6CPU View Post
What brought me here was my search for a way into my RV with my cell phone booster. I would lile to mount it on top of the ladder and put the booster in the A/V cabinet under the TV. Im thinking of drilling up through the bottom in to the cabinet. We have a 26.5 BHS so there should be no plumbing close by. Maybe propane but I will pull back the underside and look. If anyone can think of a reason not to go this route let me know.

Do you have a fridge vent on your roof? This is where I mounted my cell booster, and it was easy to run the coax down the vent shaft and into the upper cabinets in the kitchen area.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #20

Please, Please let me know if this improves your Cell Phone signal. And will it work on AT&T and Verison ? My e-mail is (a125b@Bellsouth.net). I have been looking at these for a few months, your answer will be appreciated...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote