Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
Help me here, how does a pad ON TOP pf the mattress stop condensation UNDER it? Not trying to be smart, I just don't understand. If this actually works, you just solved my problem, too.
It's caused form your body heat transferred to the cold laminate surface being cooled by the outside air. Simple physics, cold colliding with heat.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #42

It serves as a thermal break between you and the bunk. You could put it underneath if you want. I just find it also adds more comfort when it’s on top
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #43

I had a Jayco pop up for 15 years and an x17z for 2 years now and have never experienced this in various weather conditions in New England. We us sleeping bags and the standard mattress with no other modifications. Years ago I had bought two of the same sleeping bags, unzipped them both then zipped them together to make one large enough for two people. We usually camp in state parks without hookup so we only run the heater as needed but usually no air conditioning. We do always leave the bunk end windows unzipped slightly.
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #44

Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
Help me here, how does a pad ON TOP pf the mattress stop condensation UNDER it? Not trying to be smart, I just don't understand. If this actually works, you just solved my problem, too.
I asked some time ago your same question and never heard back from her, as her method seems to be the reverse application of all the others. What she is saying, that the pad on top blocks the body heat from getting to the mattress and that solves the problem?. She states her system works, so sounds 1. cheaper and 2. more comfortable. I might have to try it. Hopefully she will respond to your query! My thoughts are that it is a spring/fall phenomenon when temps are cooler out, I am mostly a summer camper having not encountered this issue yet.
Johnboy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #45

I was talking with a buddy of mine that does a lot of roofing. I was hoping to get some Cedar Breather from him. He suggested I try Dupont Tyvek or Barricade Building Wrap. He also was pretty good with Physics when he was in school and he said this could solve the condensation problem. So as out of the box this may seem It could work. Has anyone tried or considered either of these products? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
I was talking with a buddy of mine that does a lot of roofing. I was hoping to get some Cedar Breather from him. He suggested I try Dupont Tyvek or Barricade Building Wrap. He also was pretty good with Physics when he was in school and he said this could solve the condensation problem. So as out of the box this may seem It could work. Has anyone tried or considered either of these products? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
Wont work, you need to have a thermal break like the Hypervent or Cedar Breather between the mattress and platform. It allows air to travel between the warm mattress and cold platform. Tyvek is just a fancy somewhat weatherproof paper barrier, not a thermal break that will allow airflow. Just like the sleeping bag under the mattress above it won't work, no airflow. Your buddy better just stick to roofing.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #47

What do you think about trying " Bubble Wrap " it's cheap and light.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
What do you think about trying " Bubble Wrap " it's cheap and light.
Still not much room for air flow, and some nookie on that mattress will be some snap, crackle, pop, not a quiet night, LOL
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 AM   #49

I use the bubble foil insulation like what the pop up gizmos are made of. I lay a moving blanket down and the insulation on top. No moisture at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
bprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprush View Post
I use the bubble foil insulation like what the pop up gizmos are made of. I lay a moving blanket down and the insulation on top. No moisture at all.

What is "bubble foil insulation"?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #51

Quote:
What is "bubble foil insulation"?
Its almost like a sheet of bubble wrap that has a foil backing on both sides.

[/URL]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-Barrier-4-ft-x-25-ft-Air-Double-Reflective-Polyethylene-Insulation-Roll-DD48025/204476656

bprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #52

Quote:
So you lay a layer of the foil insulation then a moving blanket and put the mattress on top?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Its almost like a sheet of bubble wrap that has a foil backing on both sides.
Can you explain what you mean by "moving blanket"?

I researched what both Home Depot and Lowes carries. Home Depot has Reach Barrier and Lowes has Reflectix. I guessing both products do the same thing. These look like they should work. Has anyone else had any experience with either of them?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #54

I researched what both Home Depot and Lowes carries. Home Depot has Reach Barrier and Lowes has Reflectix. I guessing both products do the same thing. These look like they should work. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #55

Has anyone ever tried miners moss under their mattress?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00IAQ...KqL&ref=plSrch
N.S.Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #56

If your looking for Reflectix remember that it comes in different thicknesses and the 2 most common are 1/4" & 3/8". Most places don't give you a choice it's 1/4" or nothing, I myself prefer the 3/8" and you should be able to pick that up at many or most Heating & Cooling businesses.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
If your looking for Reflectix remember that it comes in different thicknesses and the 2 most common are 1/4" & 3/8". Most places don't give you a choice it's 1/4" or nothing, I myself prefer the 3/8" and you should be able to pick that up at many or most Heating & Cooling businesses.
I've been doing some research and I read of someone on another forum that didn't have all that much success with Reflectix, but that was only one post I found. He made it sound like it didn't work the way he expected it to. There doesn't seem to be many campers posting results although I did read that some were using an insulation board under their mattress with success, the kind used on buildings. Then there was someone that posted they were using a product call Stuc-O-Flex, a product used for putting stucco on buildings very similar to the Hypervent material. I cannot find that for sale anywhere. It's was much cheaper but that person got it from a friend in the business. That's all I have so far. Right now I'm thinking of going with the Miners Moss, it's less than have of what Hypervent cost if it works. Stuc-O-Flex seems the best and most inexpensive way to go but I can't find anyone that sells it.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #58

I don't use Reflectix in my tent ends I only offered info on the product. I use nothing under my mattress I just have the mattress + the Jayco heating pad that's about 1-1/2" thick( without the heat)and I'm in a sleeping bag. I'm on the Oregon and California coast both spring and fall ( 2+months each ) and donot have a moisture problem under the mattress. Night temps inside are about 64-65 in the tent ends. I do use a dehumidifier and keep it on the floor, Windows cracked open and tent ends also and that's it.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #59

That's all great if you have electric but there are 2 places I camp that are dry camping. Knowing the PO had a problem I need to resolve it without the use of electric.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #60

Quote:
That's all great if you have electric but there are 2 places I camp that are dry camping. Knowing the PO had a problem I need to resolve it without the use of electric.
I mentioned I did not use the heat ( electric) I just use that heating pad as my insulater. I got this idea from another fourm about 5 years ago when I was researching the Hybrids.