Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

anyone ever have to straighten the tongue on their TT?? SLX174BH

to make a long story short i purchased a 2017 slx 174bh used from a car lot (face palm!) only because it was exactly what we were looking for well i newbied it up and paid more attention to the inside then outside. i have no idea how they did it but the tongue of the camper has an upward bend to it making it extremely difficult to hook up to if the camping spot is not level all the way (this is how i discovered this) any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Bentbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

I "think"some of the HYBRIDS come from the factory that way.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

What are you using for a TV and hitch? What exactly is the issue when you are not perfectly level? Can you post a few pictures of the tongue?

Not trying to scare you, but I do not recall Jayco building any of there tongues with a slant. So I am concerned there maybe some damage that the dealership was not aware off. Pictures will help clarify this. If you do not have an enclosed underbelly, look at the connection between the tongue and the frame, and any location where there might be a bend/kink.

If it is built this way, I would contact a good welding shop in your area, and they can make any changes you will require.

I am also concerned about your hitch setup. A car dealership may not helped you setup the hitch for optimal towing. Are you using a Weight distribution hitch (WDH)? If so, have you confirmed everything is setup correctly, especially after loading the TT.

I hope I have not scared you to much.

Added: I just did a quick google image search for your TT. From the image below the A-Frame tongue looks straight, with no slant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_Jayco_JayFlightSLX7.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	35990
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Just a thought: Consider creating another topic title here with your trailer model in the title and ask about their trailer tongue angle, hitch info, and photos. "Anyone ever have to straighten the tongue on their TT??" might miss many 2017 slx 174bh owners that might have helpful information.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Site Team

I edited the title.
No need for a new thread..

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Thanks, WVDusty. Bumping to help with the new title.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
What are you using for a TV and hitch? What exactly is the issue when you are not perfectly level? Can you post a few pictures of the tongue?

Not trying to scare you, but I do not recall Jayco building any of there tongues with a slant. So I am concerned there maybe some damage that the dealership was not aware off. Pictures will help clarify this. If you do not have an enclosed underbelly, look at the connection between the tongue and the frame, and any location where there might be a bend/kink.

If it is built this way, I would contact a good welding shop in your area, and they can make any changes you will require.

I am also concerned about your hitch setup. A car dealership may not helped you setup the hitch for optimal towing. Are you using a Weight distribution hitch (WDH)? If so, have you confirmed everything is setup correctly, especially after loading the TT.

I hope I have not scared you to much.

Added: I just did a quick google image search for your TT. From the image below the A-Frame tongue looks straight, with no slant.

Attachment 35990
my Tow vehicle is a 2006 envoy denali, i dont have a weight distrobution set up i just hook it up and go as the denali has and air ride system that helps with squating, i will have to get a pic of the camper tomorrow. I'm hoping it's something i can straighten myself and add some support to it somehow
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbarrel View Post
my Tow vehicle is a 2006 envoy denali, i dont have a weight distrobution set up i just hook it up and go as the denali has and air ride system that helps with squating, i will have to get a pic of the camper tomorrow. I'm hoping it's something i can straighten myself and add some support to it somehow
When your looking over the camper tomorrow, also grab the info off the yellow sticker of the TT, that notes the TT weights. On my htt it is on the outside wall up front on the drivers side.

Also post the TV axle, GVW information. There is a sticker posted inside the drivers door, my 2007 Dakota is white.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #9

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 2945
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 280
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 3500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 620

TV

GVWR 6001lb
gawr frt 2950lb
gawr RR 3400
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #10

Has the OP posted a pic yet?

Even the SLX line use a significant Frame. They are at least 3” box tube, right?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote