Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

anyone ever have to straighten the tongue on their TT?? SLX174BH

to make a long story short i purchased a 2017 slx 174bh used from a car lot (face palm!) only because it was exactly what we were looking for well i newbied it up and paid more attention to the inside then outside. i have no idea how they did it but the tongue of the camper has an upward bend to it making it extremely difficult to hook up to if the camping spot is not level all the way (this is how i discovered this) any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Bentbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

I "think"some of the HYBRIDS come from the factory that way.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

What are you using for a TV and hitch? What exactly is the issue when you are not perfectly level? Can you post a few pictures of the tongue?

Not trying to scare you, but I do not recall Jayco building any of there tongues with a slant. So I am concerned there maybe some damage that the dealership was not aware off. Pictures will help clarify this. If you do not have an enclosed underbelly, look at the connection between the tongue and the frame, and any location where there might be a bend/kink.

If it is built this way, I would contact a good welding shop in your area, and they can make any changes you will require.

I am also concerned about your hitch setup. A car dealership may not helped you setup the hitch for optimal towing. Are you using a Weight distribution hitch (WDH)? If so, have you confirmed everything is setup correctly, especially after loading the TT.

I hope I have not scared you to much.

Added: I just did a quick google image search for your TT. From the image below the A-Frame tongue looks straight, with no slant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_Jayco_JayFlightSLX7.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	35990

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Just a thought: Consider creating another topic title here with your trailer model in the title and ask about their trailer tongue angle, hitch info, and photos. "Anyone ever have to straighten the tongue on their TT??" might miss many 2017 slx 174bh owners that might have helpful information.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Site Team

I edited the title.
No need for a new thread..

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Thanks, WVDusty. Bumping to help with the new title.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
What are you using for a TV and hitch? What exactly is the issue when you are not perfectly level? Can you post a few pictures of the tongue?

Not trying to scare you, but I do not recall Jayco building any of there tongues with a slant. So I am concerned there maybe some damage that the dealership was not aware off. Pictures will help clarify this. If you do not have an enclosed underbelly, look at the connection between the tongue and the frame, and any location where there might be a bend/kink.

If it is built this way, I would contact a good welding shop in your area, and they can make any changes you will require.

I am also concerned about your hitch setup. A car dealership may not helped you setup the hitch for optimal towing. Are you using a Weight distribution hitch (WDH)? If so, have you confirmed everything is setup correctly, especially after loading the TT.

I hope I have not scared you to much.

Added: I just did a quick google image search for your TT. From the image below the A-Frame tongue looks straight, with no slant.

Attachment 35990
my Tow vehicle is a 2006 envoy denali, i dont have a weight distrobution set up i just hook it up and go as the denali has and air ride system that helps with squating, i will have to get a pic of the camper tomorrow. I'm hoping it's something i can straighten myself and add some support to it somehow
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbarrel View Post
my Tow vehicle is a 2006 envoy denali, i dont have a weight distrobution set up i just hook it up and go as the denali has and air ride system that helps with squating, i will have to get a pic of the camper tomorrow. I'm hoping it's something i can straighten myself and add some support to it somehow
When your looking over the camper tomorrow, also grab the info off the yellow sticker of the TT, that notes the TT weights. On my htt it is on the outside wall up front on the drivers side.

Also post the TV axle, GVW information. There is a sticker posted inside the drivers door, my 2007 Dakota is white.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #9

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 2945
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 280
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 3500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 620

TV

GVWR 6001lb
gawr frt 2950lb
gawr RR 3400
Old 11-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #10

Has the OP posted a pic yet?

Even the SLX line use a significant Frame. They are at least 3” box tube, right?

Craig Bailey
New Hampshire
Jayflight 32 BHDS
Chevy 2500HD CC
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbarrel View Post
to make a long story short i purchased a 2017 slx 174bh used from a car lot (face palm!) only because it was exactly what we were looking for well i newbied it up and paid more attention to the inside then outside. i have no idea how they did it but the tongue of the camper has an upward bend to it making it extremely difficult to hook up to if the camping spot is not level all the way (this is how i discovered this) any suggestions on how to remedy this?
I would at least take it somewhere and have it looked at... it could have been in an accident... hopefully you verified the title was not a salvage.

There are laws that if you purchased something that is not representative of what you actually got .. like it was in an accident and not disclosed, then you have a short period of time to return it and get your money back... or you have to take them to court.. which maybe the answer if you have an inspection and find that there is something very wrong with it....

but once you modify it then you really do own it...

Good luck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

As you can see it’s not horrible but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #13

As I mentioned earlier, if I remember correctly, there was an discussion about some units being manufactured that way. The pictures show the "a" frame sloped, but the coupler, it is parallel to the ground(not pointed upward). That tells me the frame is not bent, but fabricated that way.

I would contact JAYCO with your vin #, you may not have a problem.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As I mentioned earlier, if I remember correctly, there was an discussion about some units being manufactured that way. The pictures show the "a" frame sloped, but the coupler, it is parallel to the ground(not pointed upward). That tells me the frame is not bent, but fabricated that way.

I would contact JAYCO with your vin #, you may not have a problem.

Thank you I will do that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #15

Interesting photos, with no visible damage. I do see an angle at the jack foot, but that could be because you have some slope on the trailer

A couple of suggestions: grab a 6' level or other straight edge and place it on top of the A frame rails - does it show a gap in the middle of the level (bow in frame rail)? Use the same level to level out either the tongue or the trailer (inside floor). If one of those two is level, is the other one out of level?

The weld we can see at the front cross member doesn't look like it has been monkeyed with. Check the welds at the next cross member (or two) back where the A-frame actually ends. Any sign of rewelding? Is the A-frame out of alignment (down from top of cross member) at this point? If the alignment is off, but the welds are good, this may indicate that it was designed that way as Grumpy suggests.

I would think that any force strong enough to bow or bend a steel frame like that is going to leave more telltale damage on the TT.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #16

If you place a level across the front crossmember, is the tongue raised at all? If raised, is it evenly raised on both sides?

I am going to guess the tongue is bent due to the tv rear ending someone. I have seen bent tongues from the factory, but if I remember correctly they usually have more of an obvious rise, then another bend so the coupler is parallel to the main frame.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #17

Factory Bent tongue

Hi I just bought a 2021 Jayco 174BH trailer. My tongue is slightly bent up just as the other guy. I was wondering as well if it was factory. And now I’m convinced that it was. Also I looked and is welded to the frame at an angle so it is factory installed at that angle.
Naedwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #18

Mines not like that.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naedwg View Post
Hi I just bought a 2021 Jayco 174BH trailer. My tongue is slightly bent up just as the other guy. I was wondering as well if it was factory. And now I’m convinced that it was. Also I looked and is welded to the frame at an angle so it is factory installed at that angle.
Welcome to the site from SW Michigan!

I've looked at several images of your model and did not notice any bent slightly up. They were all parallel to the ground in line with the frame. Being a 2021, though... hmm... Maybe it was handled a little rough in their lot or during the transportation of the unit? Or, it was within "spec" and it made it through inspection? I wonder if the integrity of the tongue had been compromised due to the stretching? Is this a brand new unit? Can you have it inspected?
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #20

Maybe go to your nearest Jayco dealer and ask the service manager if it's normal.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote