Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Jayco class c on order

Looking for comments, unit on order at albany rv. Have a concern after reading many negative comments about sales and service. No papers signed yet just $1000 on deposit..thinking about canceling order...no sure what to do..
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #2

I purchased my 2018 Seneca from RV One aka Albany RV and took delivery in Orlando. Was the best price I found by thousands. No issues at all. I have not been back for service but I figure I could pay out of pocket and still be ahead.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Looking for comments, unit on order at albany rv. Have a concern after reading many negative comments about sales and service. No papers signed yet just $1000 on deposit..thinking about canceling order...no sure what to do..
If it's a good deal and what you wanted wait until it comes in and then check it out prior to signing anything. If it has bad problems walk.

Our 2018 has not been back to dealer for anything. Several trips now one to Colorado and back to Texas everything worked perfectly. The V-10 with the new 6 speed is a brute and takes on grades pulling our Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon with ease.

We have had Class A diesel pushers and Class A gas motorhomes in the past but really are enjoying our Class C. It does everything well for less. Couldn't be happier!
Attached Thumbnails
26D41788-9AFF-44FA-813B-6DEF0DB812F0.jpg   B9C02EDA-8C2A-4084-A5A1-5E68A020EDF5.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

When my wife and I made the decision that we were going to get a Jayco Greyhawk 29MV, I started doing the research on how much we should pay and where to get it. I received several on-line quotes and if I remember correctly, RVOne couldn't be beat. We live in Central PA in the summer and were visiting friends in Pittsfield, MA, which is about 45 minutes from Albany, so one day we took a trip to their facility. We were treated wonderfully and had the opportunity to spend as much time as we wanted in a 29MV they had on the lot. We did a little more negotiating and walked away with a great price. They do have an impressive building and hundreds of units on their lot.

On the drive back to Pittsfield we both had some concerns about the distance we would need to travel (5 hours and 300 miles) to not only get the 29MV, but to get warranty work and normal service. When we returned home, we checked out the local family-owned Jayco dealer in our area (53 minutes and 46 miles). We met with their sales staff and hammered out a price, which was much more than the deal from RVOne. Several days later I called the local dealer and emailed them the sheet from Albany. He called me back the next day with a much better price, but it still didn't beat RVOne. DW and I discussed it at length and decided that we would pay a higher price for the convenience of having "our" dealer almost in our backyard.

And honestly, it was the best decision we made. Since we purchased it locally, we have never had a problem getting service, warranty work, or return phone calls/emails. When I call they know my name and my appointments are usually within a week, not months away. They have even called me prior to an appointment and asked me to bring the MH in sooner, which I really appreciate. And I have heard them turning service work away for units that were not purchased there. The local dealer is small, but I have been extremely happy with the choice we made. It's like Cheers...where everyone knows your name.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #5

Go head and get it. There's always little things that need attention, but that's standard for all of them. I will say that my Greyhawk rides beautifully down the highway. Like a giant Cadillac. Jayco also allowed me to obtain all the schematics for my rig, which was invaluable, and I give them a big thank you for that. Their really nice on the phone. You only live once, have some fun.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

Very nice looking. I went with the 2018 Entegra Esteem 29V which build on the same assembly line as the Jayco 29MVP. Can't say enough about the dealership RV Country in Mt Vernon Washington. The pricing I was able to get could not be beat.
Crawler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

It's pretty important to remember that most people only post about their bad experiences, not good ones.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

It's one thing to have a home base dealer to turn to for at home repairs and warranty work, but it's another thing altogether to get repairs on the road, which is where and when you really need it. I would ask about repairs to your rig on the road, by authorized Jayco dealers and how any warranty issues would be dealt with then. For example, how long would it take to get your fridge replaced ,at home as opposed to, on the road when you really need it.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
It's pretty important to remember that most people only post about their bad experiences, not good ones.
Exactly.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

If the chassis is a Ford E350/450 Series then you best bone up on caster alignment to prevent wandering at highway speeds.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
If the chassis is a Ford E350/450 Series then you best bone up on caster alignment to prevent wandering at highway speeds.
This is not completely true...ours has not needed alignment. Steering wheel was centered when purchased and alignment has been fine. We have no wandering at highway speeds. We usually drive between 60-65mph and it just cruises down the road.

I think air pressure and load is as important as anything. My Greyhawk also has the factory JRide Plus where a lot of the complaints about road manners come from Redhawk owners who don't have the same suspension setup as the Greyhawks.

Another problem owners have is getting use to the steering control box. It is the old school gear driven and has a bit of play. Some have more than others. You can't drive one of these like a rack and pinon in a car. You need to make slow corrections and don't fight the steering wheel in the process.

It takes some practice but get's better with time. I feel new owners should drive a few longer trips with the stock setup and try and get use to how it drives before throwing a bunch of money at it.

Our class C Jayco drives much easier and better than our previous Class A's did. It's relaxed and comfortable and I'm not worn out at the end of a long day of driving.

The wheelbase also helps. Shorter motorhomes with short wheelbase don't handle as well as longer wheelbase motorhomes will.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
This is not completely true...ours has not needed alignment. Steering wheel was centered when purchased and alignment has been fine. We have no wandering at highway speeds. We usually drive between 60-65mph and it just cruises down the road.

I think air pressure and load is as important as anything. My Greyhawk also has the factory JRide Plus where a lot of the complaints about road manners come from Redhawk owners who don't have the same suspension setup as the Greyhawks.

Another problem owners have is getting use to the steering control box. It is the old school gear driven and has a bit of play. Some have more than others. You can't drive one of these like a rack and pinon in a car. You need to make slow corrections and don't fight the steering wheel in the process.

It takes some practice but get's better with time. I feel new owners should drive a few longer trips with the stock setup and try and get use to how it drives before throwing a bunch of money at it.

Our class C Jayco drives much easier and better than our previous Class A's did. It's relaxed and comfortable and I'm not worn out at the end of a long day of driving.

The wheelbase also helps. Shorter motorhomes with short wheelbase don't handle as well as longer wheelbase motorhomes will.
Same here, my rig drives ok.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
Same here, my rig drives ok.
x3. Actually, it drives better than ok.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
x3. Actually, it drives better than ok.
+4
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #15

When it comes time for service and for warranty work, I too believe that being a familiar face at the local dealer can be a real plus.
Early on, the service writers always asked if I am a customer there. Now, they know who I am.
As for finding service on the road while traveling, I think most outlets would try to get you in and out quickly. Of course, if parts must be ordered, that's a whole new ballgame.............
We purchased at Camping World in Albuquerque.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 AM   #16

Hi there. We have a Jayco dealership 30 minutes away. But, got a great price at the Hershey RV show from a dealer 3 hours away. We came home from show and contacted local dealer. They couldn't match or come close to the price. Local dealership even contacted Jayco and asked for RV show price, but Jayco said they wouldn't do that. So, we purchased from dealership 3 hours away. They have been awesome. We just contact them for a service call, set it up. Then we camp near there for the weekend. Pack up, and drop Rv off. Later, the next week, we go back and pick up RV and camp near there to see if everything has been fixed. We have had excellent dealings with this dealership. They are located in northeastern PA. Rhones RV in Cogan Station. Good luck!
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #17

I don't know.. 12 hours of driving, 2 weekends spent all for 1 service.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #18

We have located a certified jayco repair shop locally in the catskills should we need it
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
+4
I notice all the +4 responses are from year 2016 forward. I am thinking Jayco are now making the necessary caster settings as part of the production line.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
I notice all the +4 responses are from year 2016 forward. I am thinking Jayco are now making the necessary caster settings as part of the production line.
I can say our 2016 Greyhawk 31FS didn't come with increased caster from the factory. After a round trip to AZ from MT, I felt the rig drove OK but could be better. I had an alignment done and Ingalls caster bushings installed before a round trip to ME from MT. I ordered the bushings from Amazon and provided them to the truck shop, based on information HARVARD has posted on various RV web forums (Thanks!). I feel it made a noticeable improvement in the drivability of MY motorhome. I don't tow (yet). I cruise at 65MPH. I've been across a CAT scale multiple times to verify my weights. I keep my tire PSI adjusted. I've driven various motorhomes since the early 90's.

This Spring I installed the heavier front sway bar from Hellwig. Additionally I added a Safe-T-Plus steering control for the self-centering effect and hopefully increased safety in the event of a blow out. Again, noticeable improvements for me and my rig. 26K miles so far and no regrets or further enhancements planned.

I do believe every owner has a different level of usage, comfort, motorhome driving experience, and budget. I didn't mind spending the money for the alignment and other items. I wouldn't hesitate to remove said items if they didn't provide a worthwhile improvement in my driving experience.

I think every new owner would be wise to put some miles on their stock motorhome loaded the way they plan to travel. In my experience, an alignment with adjustment to the caster is the next logical step if seeking improvement.

-Doug

"There are times where we make mistakes as we are human beings and sometimes we miss things." - John Culp, Jayco Customer Service
MontanaBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote