Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

2020 Eagle HT w/16” Wheels, Owners Read!!

I have been communicating with another owner on this forum that has the same year and model trailer as mine. We have been exchanging experiences and issues. He identified one to me that he had and I confirmed I have the same problem.

If you have the 16” wheel and tire upgrade, AND your leaf springs have not been moved to the lower hole to raise the trailer. You are probably experiencing tire rub to the sub floor of your trailer! There is only about 1 1/2” to 2” of clearance between the tire and trailer. There is a sheet metal shield up in the well that is stapled to the sub floor. All but a couple of those staple have fallen out of mine. The tire has started to burn/grind into the wood where the sheet metal attaches to the floor.

Fortunately none of those staples ended up in my tires, cause I think the vibration causes them to loosen and then you hit a bump and the tire pulls them out.

Fortunately I have a good dealer to work with. Already have an appointment for the MORryde inspection. Guess I have a pretty good warranty complaint also.

So for safety reasons, do an inspection.

Gone Fishing!
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #2

Checked mine- lower hole and 3" tire clearance.

JaycoMLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
Checked mine- lower hole and 3" tire clearance.
I took delivery of mine in May, I know it was early production. Hopefully they figured it out. I would just keep an eye on those staples. I know it’s a pain cause you have to take the tires off, but if a problem comes up or an opportunity presents itself, back them up with screws.

Gone Fishing!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

I have a 2018 29.5 bhds eagle ht and I noticed the same problem. Took it into the dealer and this was one of the items on my list. Hoping they will set the trailer to the lower holes if not it will be something I do my self this winter.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #5

I have 2020 295bhds, i was wondering about this as well. When i picked up from dealer it was raining. Not till i got home did i notice slide side aluminum sheet was all damaged at front of tandem wheels. Brought back to dealer and they did half ass flattening of that metal and added a few staples. My camper is in upper hole on leaf springs and i was thinking same thing that clearance was very tight. Are the lower holes the correct ones to be using if the tires are 16 incher or is it optional based upon setup of truck/camper setup. If the lower holes are supposed to be used when upgraded tires are installed, then i to have to have these adjusted.
Drbuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbuley View Post
I have 2020 295bhds, i was wondering about this as well. When i picked up from dealer it was raining. Not till i got home did i notice slide side aluminum sheet was all damaged at front of tandem wheels. Brought back to dealer and they did half ass flattening of that metal and added a few staples. My camper is in upper hole on leaf springs and i was thinking same thing that clearance was very tight. Are the lower holes the correct ones to be using if the tires are 16 incher or is it optional based upon setup of truck/camper setup. If the lower holes are supposed to be used when upgraded tires are installed, then i to have to have these adjusted.
I don’t see any other way of correcting the issue other than moving the springs to the lower hole. Another forum member did it and it solved his problem. There another post in this thread where his was delivered correctly and he seems to be satisfied with his clearance. I am getting tire damage because of it. I think one of the staples is in my right rear tire. I can’t find it, but it has a slow leak and gets down to about 50psi after a couple days. Trailer is just sitting now, appointment is on the 26th to take it in. I don’t see how they can claim the springs are in the right position. I will post the results after the service. Jayco should say, “sorry, missed that one, we’ll fix it”

Gone Fishing!
Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #7

I called local dealer after reading this post(waste of time) as they said suspension was set up at factory and suggested i call factory. Called factory who was no more helpful and took my info and advised they would refer to tech for followup. No call back mind you as of yet. I asked them about touch up paint and was referred back to dealer. I cannot express how frustrating it is that simple questions are so difficult to be answered. This is not 1920s. Factory paints a cap and does not provide ability to get touch up paint and refers to body shop for color match!!!!! Simple wheel setup question for what is a factory installed upgrade is not able to be readilly answered..... geez what did i get myself into by buying Jayco product
Drbuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Well, if you haven’t got any damage, I’m sure you’ll get push back. In that case move the springs to the lower hole and you should be good to go. I’ve got wheel well damage and a slow leak tire. My approach is just go straight to the dealer and show them. My appointment is next weekend.

Gone Fishing!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
I have been communicating with another owner on this forum that has the same year and model trailer as mine. We have been exchanging experiences and issues. He identified one to me that he had and I confirmed I have the same problem.

If you have the 16” wheel and tire upgrade, AND your leaf springs have not been moved to the lower hole to raise the trailer. You are probably experiencing tire rub to the sub floor of your trailer! There is only about 1 1/2” to 2” of clearance between the tire and trailer. There is a sheet metal shield up in the well that is stapled to the sub floor. All but a couple of those staple have fallen out of mine. The tire has started to burn/grind into the wood where the sheet metal attaches to the floor.

Fortunately none of those staples ended up in my tires, cause I think the vibration causes them to loosen and then you hit a bump and the tire pulls them out.

Fortunately I have a good dealer to work with. Already have an appointment for the MORryde inspection. Guess I have a pretty good warranty complaint also.

So for safety reasons, do an inspection.
That's interesting, because I have 16" wheels and I've had a couple slide out issues with mine on the kitchen side. I was told one of the motors burned out or a cable was pinched. On our last camping trip, I looked under the wheel well and found the slide out wires split in half due to the tire rubbing on it. My next thought was "lazy engineers". I had to clean it up and splice the wires back to get the slide to work. Now I'm wondering if the tire rubbed the wire because there isn't enough clearance in the wheel well. I'll have to get under there, measure and look to see where the spring sits. - Thanks!

Packerbacker_TX is offline   Reply With Quote