Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #61
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlee View Post
Ok good information. We will measure ours when hooked up next. If we are over height do I call Jayco direct?
I called Jayco CS first and service called me back. They had me measure and send pics back. When I called my dealer for pre auth the dealer was already aware of issue. I am 300 miles from dealer but Jayco insist that dealer do repair and not mobile tech, which they have allowed for a couple other minor issues.
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #62

You will want to measure the FW leveled first to verify it is over the 13’6” height. Then measure it again hooked up to your tow vehicle. Give both measurements to Jayco. They will want a picture of your FW hooked to your tow vehicle. Call Jayco customer service yourself. This is what I did and then they will authorize a dealer to swap it out.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #63
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by georam1 View Post
If you as a rv manufacturer allow a rv to leave your factory at the maximum allowable hight you are asking for trouble. If you have a 1999 tow truck then you're probably going to be alright. However with today's high sitting tow trucks then you are going to have a problem. Jayco was just trying to save some money. From what I can find the difference between the mach 15 and the mach 8 is only about $250 retail. Probably would have only cost Jayco about $150 or less to have put the low profile ac on to start with. Looks like to me someone either didn't do their homework or was way to worried about the bottom line.
I am not sure Jayco reasoning behind this but they are stepping up and taking care of it. That's all I ask for. You said yourself. Every TV is different.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:42 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Sorry to hear of your woes's. I live 4 miles from there and camp there often. There are 2 other secondary roads that access the park. My rig has the front ac and it's the high profile from the factory. The front ac is the highest point on the unit and I have been concerned about it hitting something also but never have. I spend more time looking up than to the sides.
I purchased my rig from the Trail center on Dorchester Road. I'm not sure if they could help or not. CW also is a Jayco Dealer but not for towables.

If I can help you in any way please PM me and I'll get in touch.

The roads into there are tight but many many rvs travel all three roads into that park. The best is the access on Camp road. The 2nd best is the other end of Riverland drive. For some reason most of the GPS mapping routes send you to the one you accessed.

We got a frog strangler last night so hopefully your cover held.

Thanks for the info and I took pictures of low trees, and drove all roads in and out. Your 100% correct on the roads in and out. Had a low profile put on last week and tonight is first night back and it’s nearly 90 in Tennessee so glad to have it. One a/c would not keep it cool on these hot days

Upon more inspection the CW truck sent in it messed up the roof more than thought and suggesting a replacement. We will see if Jayco does anything.

I will let you know and I did stay dry and spoke with the local Jayco dealer there that had me call a travel repair guy out to button me up for dry travels and he was excellent. I would have had a new ac on next day if we could have found an Mach 8 in stock anywhere close. He had Mach 15’s and would have loved to had him install.

Thanks again
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #65

It is the Mach 8 not the plus and working fantastic today for first run out after new install. I sure hope Jayco pays something as CW says it needs a roof too as it snaked it good. Put 3 holes in roof and shifter it back. Crack in inside ceiling too
Good luck. CW has Mach 8 on sale under 1000 now
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #66
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBees View Post
It is the Mach 8 not the plus and working fantastic today for first run out after new install. I sure hope Jayco pays something as CW says it needs a roof too as it snaked it good. Put 3 holes in roof and shifter it back. Crack in inside ceiling too
Good luck. CW has Mach 8 on sale under 1000 now
The plus has a heat pump also, so understandably they don't replace with that one. Would be nice if Jayco stepped up for your roof repairs but I believe there is a bit of negligence there two. Good Luck
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #67
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
You will want to measure the FW leveled first to verify it is over the 13’6” height. Then measure it again hooked up to your tow vehicle. Give both measurements to Jayco. They will want a picture of your FW hooked to your tow vehicle. Call Jayco customer service yourself. This is what I did and then they will authorize a dealer to swap it out.
Ripon, I believe it was one of your prior posts that got me rollin on getting mine replaced. It was my experience with Jayco CS that it doesn't matter how trailer sits in your yard or at a campsite but how high is it Rolling down the road. I totally agree with calling Jayco CS first with ANY issues before I contact the dealer.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #68

I contacted Jayco CS this morning and explained to them that my rv was over the legal hight when hooked up to my TV. They said I had to contact my dealer. So there is some conflicting ways to handle this problem. I contacted my dealer and explained to them what was going on. Set them some pictures of the measurements so we'll see what happens. My dealer has always been great with CS. We'll just have to see if Jayco approves the replacement.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #69
DRE

Quote:
I contacted Jayco CS this morning and explained to them that my rv was over the legal hight when hooked up to my TV. They said I had to contact my dealer. So there is some conflicting ways to handle this problem. I contacted my dealer and explained to them what was going on. Set them some pictures of the measurements so we'll see what happens. My dealer has always been great with CS. We'll just have to see if Jayco approves the replacement.
Ask for service to call you back or send email with explanation and pics to service@jayco.com. Make sure to include your serial #. i am sure different CS reps will have different answers. You need to get to the service dept. and they will work with you.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:24 AM   #70

There isn't a federal height requirement for commercial motor vehicles, but states may set their own height restrictions. Most height limits range from 13 feet, 6 inches to 14 feet.

East of the Mississippi & Oklahoma 13'6", Westward 14' except 14'6" for Colorado and Nebraska and 15' for Alaska. I've never seen the DOT check an RV for anything.

Outside of approved trucking routes you can even find bridges with unmarked heights and that tree looked like it was on the slow way down to the ground anyway.

Its very unfortunate that your RV was damaged and maybe that tree trim was as high as the state worker could reach with a pole saw? Hopefully this will save someone in the future by remembering to keep an eye on overhead obstructions down the road and remember you're the same size as a full on Semi!

I got off on a side road, used to be a state maintained road but was handed over to the locals. it had a railroad bridge marked 13'6" but it looked way too short, I'm just under 12' high. I stopped and measured the bridge with a tape measure ... 12'9" seems there was some road damage and they patched and paved it pretty heavy without respect to the bridge, I inched forward, ran up the embankment to check and very slowly inched under the bridge with less than a foot to spare, a front AC would have been much closer than the middle one due to the dip in the road. Would have been nice to have a spotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
That is a standard height , not the low profile. Jayco should take care of This as they already know the units exceeded the 13’6” max height. Good luck.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #71

Ok thanks DRE for that advice. Ill see what my dealer can get done and if they fail I'll email the service department.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #72

Height
The maximum height for all vehicles on all designated state and federal highways is 13 feet, 6 inches, including load from the underside of the tire to the top of the vehicle. This includes the US Interstate system. Individual states may set their own maximum height limits, but those limits must be equal to or greater than 13 feet, 6 inches.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #73

Just had a call from my dealer and now they want pictures with it not hooked up to the tow vehicle. So I know where this is going. With it not hooked up it's dead on 13'6". However, it doesn't matter what it's height is sitting in my yard or the campground. It's what it's height is going down the road. So I guess I just need to call Jayco service department so I will stop getting the run around.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #74

Quote:
Just had a call from my dealer and now they want pictures with it not hooked up to the tow vehicle. So I know where this is going. With it not hooked up it's dead on 13'6". However, it doesn't matter what it's height is sitting in my yard or the campground. It's what it's height is going down the road. So I guess I just need to call Jayco service department so I will stop getting the run around.
If your truck makes it ride nose high then that is not JAYCO's issue. The FW's are designed to be towed level. If you tow level and exceed the 13'6" then yes they should fix it.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #75

You tell me. I'm not sure I can do much else to make it level. Maybe let some air out of my tires?
Attached Thumbnails
Eagle4.jpg  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #76

Quote:
You tell me. I'm not sure I can do much else to make it level. Maybe let some air out of my tires?
How much difference are you talking? As has been mentioned 14'-16' is required clearance on all roads per the FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION.

Also if you have more than 6" bed clearance you can lower your hitch.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #77

Goes up to 13'7 3/4" Not much but if I hit something it's on me because I'm supposed to be at 13'6" towing. Not to mention what if they repaved the road or there is a bump. I missed a gas station awning by about an inch the other day.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #78

Quote:
Goes up to 13'7 3/4" Not much but if I hit something it's on me because I'm supposed to be at 13'6" towing. Not to mention what if they repaved the road or there is a bump. I missed a gas station awning by about an inch the other day.
Playing "DEVIL's ADVOCATE"! How is that JAYCO's fault? They can't design a FW for every truck/hitch configuration on the road.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #79

When you design a fifth wheel and it leaves the factory at the maximum allowable height sitting level in the parking lot not attached to any tow vehicle then you are asking for trouble. I realize that people put oversize tires on their trucks and all trucks are different but most modern trucks come with at least 18" tires. So if the Rv sits in the bed of the truck and it's 1/2 a bubble out of level it's outside the maximum allowable height. How is that not Jayco's fault when all they had to do is put a low profile AC on the front and everything else is good. I don't want to change the AC out. It works great and I don't like people messing with my RV. However, having worked in Law Enforcement and the court system for 26 years I don't want the liability on me knowing that it's outside the limits and I don't think I should have to trade and get a different truck when mine is factory stock.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #80

As I stated in my current post on this, Jayco wants to see it leveled out to verify the height not hooked up. Make sure you measure to the very top or your AC. I used a 4 foot level and measured from the top of the AC down to the top of the drip rail. Mark the spot on the drip rail and then take a tape measure and measure to the ground. It is not hard to very + or - an inch when doing this. I did it 3 times to make sure is getting the correct readings.