Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I had the dealer install one in mines, a bad mistake but at least it does the job it was of the best mod I did.
My dealer gave me an install estimate of over $500 (just labor). I asked why so high, was told they had to run the thermostat wire down the walls. ????? As far as I know, the thermostat is in the fan and on the remote. They said if they don't run the thermostat line, it'll be $210, 1.5 hours of labor. No thanks. I'll try it myself.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
My dealer gave me an install estimate of over $500 (just labor). I asked why so high, was told they had to run the thermostat wire down the walls. ????? As far as I know, the thermostat is in the fan and on the remote. They said if they don't run the thermostat line, it'll be $210, 1.5 hours of labor. No thanks. I'll try it myself.
If you are installing the Maxxair model 7000K or 7500K, there is no thermostat wire to run down the walls.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #23

Quote:

Yep, sound about right and they told me the same as far as price and if I would have known that I wouldn't have done it but hey they did an awesome job installing it but never again. Hey live and learn, but I should have known anyway.

They are the same dealer that told me that they was going to charge me $380 plus tax just to install the vent for a washer and dryer so yeah but I had watch some YouTube video on how to install one. It look like that it's an easy job but the only thing that is long is that you have to take off the seal on the top of the roof.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yep, sound about right and they told me the same as far as price and if I would have known that I wouldn't have done it but hey they did an awesome job installing it but never again. Hey live and learn, but I should have known anyway.

They are the same dealer that told me that they was going to charge me $380 plus tax just to install the vent for a washer and dryer so yeah but I had watch some YouTube video on how to install one. It look like that it's an easy job but the only thing that is long is that you have to take off the seal on the top of the roof.
Yea, not sure I could handle the vent install. Probably beyond my current capabilities, lol. Don't beat yourself up about the vent. There is something calming about leaving the work to the dealer and picking it up done. It's just the bite of the dollar, lol.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #25

Yep, I think you're right I would have love to have done it but they did a so much better job beside we had the money this time.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #26

I will charge anyone $100 and put in a Maxxair whatever model fan, labor only, you buy all materials, it is so easy. I added one to my popup (unit only had a vent, no fan, power was right there) and want one in the new camper, just can’t justify the money, the one I put in the popup was $250, why is the price skyrocketing? Oh ya, they are probably made in China and the factory hasn’t been open in a while, supply and demand...
Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
I will charge anyone $100 and put in a Maxxair whatever model fan, labor only, you buy all materials, it is so easy. I added one to my popup (unit only had a vent, no fan, power was right there) and want one in the new camper, just can’t justify the money, the one I put in the popup was $250, why is the price skyrocketing? Oh ya, they are probably made in China and the factory hasn’t been open in a while, supply and demand...
I found one on Ebay for $195.00 + free shipping...........right now they are out of stock.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #28

We had A maxxair fan with the automatic vent and remote control in my last RV. We absolutely loveD it!

The RV we have now Has a little tiny propeller fan, what a joke! Don’t know if we will keep this RV so I opted to do one of those vortex fans. Thing works pretty good, and the conversion was very simple all from inside the bathroom. I highly recommend, but there’s nothing like a maxx air vent fan!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #29

beware the maxair shroud may not fit.

We were going to replace the dometic fan in our 28.5 RSTS FW. We purchased the maxair and adhesives kit. Unfortunately the trim shroud is only about 6 inches high (deep) and in the FW, the existing trim shroud is about 10 inches. (guessing from memory) Also the existing trim could not be made to fit the maxair, because the existing trim was rounded on the corners so woudn't fit. I asked the dealer and they said sometimes they just cut and splice portions of each trim piece which was more than I wanted to tackle. It was late fall and we needed to get the trailer in to storage, so we returned the maxair. I was a bit disappointed they didn't have a way to order the fan with the correct depth trim piece.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #30

That was the first upgrade we did to our 321RSTS. The fan that came in there was horrendous due to the switch and the noise. We bought ours from Camping World when it was on sale. We decided on the one with the remote as my wife is not tall enough to reach the fan. It took about an hour to get the old one off and the new one on and the cover over it installed. We set the thermostat at 70 and leave it alone. Works great going down the road when it's hot and keeps the camper much cooler.
Festor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davolson View Post
We were going to replace the dometic fan in our 28.5 RSTS FW. We purchased the maxair and adhesives kit. Unfortunately the trim shroud is only about 6 inches high (deep) and in the FW, the existing trim shroud is about 10 inches. (guessing from memory) Also the existing trim could not be made to fit the maxair, because the existing trim was rounded on the corners so woudn't fit. I asked the dealer and they said sometimes they just cut and splice portions of each trim piece which was more than I wanted to tackle. It was late fall and we needed to get the trailer in to storage, so we returned the maxair. I was a bit disappointed they didn't have a way to order the fan with the correct depth trim piece.
Then put in the vortex, it wasn’t difficult and you use the same trim kit you already have.
It pulls a lot of air, a bit noisy but not too bad to annoy you.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Oh don't tell me that! Ours is a Dometic with extraction vents on each side, small prop blade. I hope I don't have that trouble. Really gonna be pissed if I gotta return this.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #33

I'd be curious what you find out... If we can ever "travel" again, I still want to replace that fan. Sounds like the same one.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #34

When I put the max air into my 321 RSTS Eagle, the existing shroud fits fine.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #35

Quote:
I'd be curious what you find out... If we can ever "travel" again, I still want to replace that fan. Sounds like the same one.
Ok, well I'll be sure to post an update on it. I'll go out to the rv in the next couple of days and check. First thing I'll do is remove the old shroud and compare it to the new shroud. That should tell me if it's gonna work I would think.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #36

fwiw ours was maxx aire model 6401 that wouldn't match our shroud in height, or corner fit. but that's on a 2018 28.5 RSTS.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #37

Quote:
fwiw ours was maxx aire model 6401 that wouldn't match our shroud in height, or corner fit. but that's on a 2018 28.5 RSTS.
I thought as long as you had a 14" x 14" vent opening you were good. I guess we'll see. I have the Maxx Aire model 7500 with remote.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #38

2017 321rsts existing shroud worked fine with the maxair. I had to swap the maxxair vent cover as the existing would not let you open the maxxair fan lid fully. So now it has a maxxair fan mate cover. Its the highest thing on the roof.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #39

Dicor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Not a hard install at all. I did the same with the remote. Careful getting the old decor seal up off the rubber roof. Get a tube of self leveling door caulk and you will be good.
RipinSC means Dicor Self-Leveling caulk. You use it all around the perimeter of the new fan housing after you have installed the new fan. Look at the other items on your roof and you’ll see how it’s supposed to look.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #40

No

Quote:
I saw that on one of the videos also. So put the eternabond on the roof after cleaning the old gunk off? Then butyl tape then the shroud?
No. The EternaBond goes on last. Install the fan, then Dicor Self-Levelling sealant around the perimeter. After it dries apply the EternaBond so it covers the edge of the fan shroud AND the roof. This will seal it permanently.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote