Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #21

Glad you are back on the road! At least there was a Denny's at the Flying J across the street. I stayed at that Flying J last week.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayduster71 View Post
Glad you are back on the road! At least there was a Denny's at the Flying J across the street. I stayed at that Flying J last week.
We ate there the first night but better than that was the Perkins a couple miles away.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #23

Now it’s dead.

After what they thought fixed the rig I am now worse off than before.

Trip last night ok. Trip today was good for the first 200 miles and the I again got the 1761, check engine and yellow def. 75 miles later I get a flashing def light. Get 5 miles from the campground and get a 5mph derate code. Pull into the campsite and get a red stop engine.

Closest FL service centers are closed for the weekend so we’ll call FL for the tow on Monday.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
After what they thought fixed the rig I am now worse off than before.

Trip last night ok. Trip today was good for the first 200 miles and the I again got the 1761, check engine and yellow def. 75 miles later I get a flashing def light. Get 5 miles from the campground and get a 5mph derate code. Pull into the campsite and get a red stop engine.

Closest FL service centers are closed for the weekend so we’ll call FL for the tow on Monday.
Boy that sucks, sounded like they had you fixed. You said they never heard back from FCCC, but curious if you have tried contacting them directly by calling the 24/7 number in the door jam? Usually they will coordinate repairs being it towing in or sending a mobile mechanic. I have heard from many others tht they are very responsive going this route and not working directly with a service center.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Boy that sucks, sounded like they had you fixed. You said they never heard back from FCCC, but curious if you have tried contacting them directly by calling the 24/7 number in the door jam? Usually they will coordinate repairs being it towing in or sending a mobile mechanic. I have heard from many others tht they are very responsive going this route and not working directly with a service center.
They are the ones that sent me to that truck center. I will call them again for a tow or mobile this time.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #26

Called FL again this morning and we are now waiting on a tow truck to arrive. We’ll see what the shop has to say when it gets there.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #27

On the way to service.

Click image for larger version

Name:	079C2588-F7DB-4823-8CE3-867099E47B2B.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	74043
Old 07-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #28

Quote:
On the way to service.

Attachment 74043
Did you get to see where they unhooked the driveline for towing?
75462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75462 View Post
Did you get to see where they unhooked the driveline for towing?
Yes. In this pic you can see his feet underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
94404D9C-5C62-4548-8627-67C223F7B13B.jpg  
Old 07-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #30

Hate to see it in tow, hopefully this shop can figure it out!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #31

According to the repair shop this time the issue was a bad fuse and the pins inside the fuse box were loose causing an intermittent connection and then blowing the fuse. The fuse was related to coolant level warnings.

Sounds strange to me
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #32

Quote:
According to the repair shop this time the issue was a bad fuse and the pins inside the fuse box were loose causing an intermittent connection and then blowing the fuse. The fuse was related to coolant level warnings.

Sounds strange to me

I have actually seen people post this same thing on the FB page when having issues with random DEF issues. They say Freightliner says lack of use and outdoor storage is part of the cause.....but this is just what I have read.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I have actually seen people post this same thing on the FB page when having issues with random DEF issues. They say Freightliner says lack of use and outdoor storage is part of the cause.....but this is just what I have read.
The dealer verified DEF level which was full and verified the DEF quality was at 32.5 percent.

Having it serviced while it's there so waiting on that to be completed and then we'll pick it up, cool down the fridge and reload to hit the road again. Next leg of the trip will be a 262 mile leg Rochester, IL on the 29th.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #34

Picked up the rig. What a fiasco
Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #35

Now for the rest of the story; the pick up of the coach.

The Freightliner dealer called me after they completed a second road test and told me the coach was ready for pick up. I ask how much the damage was because I had them perform a full 15K service while it was in the shop. They were running a 299.00 special so I was shocked when they told me the bill was 1400.00.

Fast forward to me arriving at the service center. I ask why the bill was so high and there response was the issue was related to a fuse and fuses weren't covered under warranty so I had to pay for the repair and tow.

Question, isn't towing covered under the Freightliner roadside assistance. Yes, towing is covered under warranty so you now owe 1200.00.

Question, what was the diagnosis. Read from the shop report the fuse was making intermittent contact and causing an intermittent short so the fuse was loose because it could be wiggled around. The fuse was replaced and the pins in the fuse box tightened and the codes were cleared and check and stop engine lights went off.

Question, was the fuse blown? No the fuse was not blown it was loose in the fuse box because of the loose pins.

Question, Part 1, Is it the responsibility of the owner to check for loosens of fuses in the fuse box before every trip and Part 2 whose responsibility is it to repair or replace the fuse box

Two service advisors now begin researching stuff on their systems and after about 10 minutes they determine that fuse box maintenance is considered base maintenance and thereby covered under the warranty. Service Advisor 2 then calls the dealer's warranty claims person, who originally said the issue was not warranty related, and proceeded to explain to her what he found in the Freightliner system and that the repair was in fact a warranty covered repair. Service advisor one then proceeded to revise my invoice to only include my 299.00 service plus tax.

I handed each service advisor a 20.00 bill and asked that the have a drink after work.

I then claimed my rig and proceeded to the campground and hooked up so the fridge can cool and we will reload tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:29 PM   #36

I can’t believe they tried to charge you for all that…..plan and simple it was a faulty part, not fuse! Like I mentioned, this is not the first time I have read about the loose fuse issue. Hopefully the rest of your trip is trouble free!

Old 07-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #37

What a story! I am glad you have your coach back and that it was all under warranty. Thanks for posting.
jacquesmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Now for the rest of the story; the pick up of the coach.

The Freightliner dealer called me after they completed a second road test and told me the coach was ready for pick up. I ask how much the damage was because I had them perform a full 15K service while it was in the shop. They were running a 299.00 special so I was shocked when they told me the bill was 1400.00.

Fast forward to me arriving at the service center. I ask why the bill was so high and there response was the issue was related to a fuse and fuses weren't covered under warranty so I had to pay for the repair and tow.

Question, isn't towing covered under the Freightliner roadside assistance. Yes, towing is covered under warranty so you now owe 1200.00.

Question, what was the diagnosis. Read from the shop report the fuse was making intermittent contact and causing an intermittent short so the fuse was loose because it could be wiggled around. The fuse was replaced and the pins in the fuse box tightened and the codes were cleared and check and stop engine lights went off.

Question, was the fuse blown? No the fuse was not blown it was loose in the fuse box because of the loose pins.

Question, Part 1, Is it the responsibility of the owner to check for loosens of fuses in the fuse box before every trip and Part 2 whose responsibility is it to repair or replace the fuse box

Two service advisors now begin researching stuff on their systems and after about 10 minutes they determine that fuse box maintenance is considered base maintenance and thereby covered under the warranty. Service Advisor 2 then calls the dealer's warranty claims person, who originally said the issue was not warranty related, and proceeded to explain to her what he found in the Freightliner system and that the repair was in fact a warranty covered repair. Service advisor one then proceeded to revise my invoice to only include my 299.00 service plus tax.

I handed each service advisor a 20.00 bill and asked that the have a drink after work.

I then claimed my rig and proceeded to the campground and hooked up so the fridge can cool and we will reload tomorrow.
Thanks for keeping us all updated. Especially important to share that you should not just assume that service writer is correct in say "not under warranty."
I think an important question for all of us is who do you call when you have this kind of breakdown. Most of us who are off of Jayco warranty probably have purchased a "tow policy" to cover breakdowns. So do you call FL and run the risk of it not being under warranty or your Tow insurer company? I think FL can give you the closest FL repair shop. I have had several of the DEF sensors burn out before learning about the crossed coolant hoses going into the DEF tank. They finally burned out the DEF header. All covered under warranty with FL. I think important to have a code scanner to help you decide who tows you. What do you guys/gals thinks?
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayduster71 View Post
I fixed my def system....permanently
I second this!
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #40

Bad DEF?

Had the same code right after purchasing my truck. Took it into the dealership and they put the computer on it and could not find anything. They said may have had some old DEF in my tank, asked me what the date code was on the DEF that I had recently added. I didn't know nor was I aware that DEF gets old. They recommended that I start checking future DEF purchases, or start using the DEF pumps at the big truck diesel stations. Never had the problem re-occur.
Herlugson is offline   Reply With Quote