Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #21

Made a trip from Tx to VA over the weekend. Had the 3363 code and check engine light. The check engine light was still on after shutting it down for 5 hours but went off 2 hours into driving after I started back on the road. Got to VA without any issue and called FCC. I can take it to a shop and if they do not find a failed part it is on me because the code is now not active. They want me to bring it to a service center when the check engine light is on. Shops were closed when I was traveling late Saturday and Sunday morning, the other option is to let it break down and go into derate and wait for a mobile tech or get it towed. Neither is a good option when traveling with grandchildren. I still think the DEF lines are crossed. Does anyone have the routing schematic they can post? I want to check them myself. Twice I have had the 3363 code with the same DEF header. I feel they should replace it under warranty now. Will see how the trip back to TX goes later this week.
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlr View Post
Made a trip from Tx to VA over the weekend. Had the 3363 code and check engine light. The check engine light was still on after shutting it down for 5 hours but went off 2 hours into driving after I started back on the road. Got to VA without any issue and called FCC. I can take it to a shop and if they do not find a failed part it is on me because the code is now not active. They want me to bring it to a service center when the check engine light is on. Shops were closed when I was traveling late Saturday and Sunday morning, the other option is to let it break down and go into derate and wait for a mobile tech or get it towed. Neither is a good option when traveling with grandchildren. I still think the DEF lines are crossed. Does anyone have the routing schematic they can post? I want to check them myself. Twice I have had the 3363 code with the same DEF header. I feel they should replace it under warranty now. Will see how the trip back to TX goes later this week.

Who are you calling about this? A Freightliner service center or the FCCC 24/7 line? The 3363 code, which will clear itself after it passed 3 cycle tests is still stored in the ECU even though it clears. This was the same code that started with mine and is the main one that points to DEF Header failure. I would work through FCCC and they should help you get it looked at. 3363 Code deals with the DEF Heater control valve.

Tracking the routing takes some time but the easiest way is to start with the line coming down from the back top of the motor, mark it every 6-8" with a sharpie or paint pen to keep track of it. Where it gets difficult is where it passes through a frame cross member and turns 90° and passes over to the drivers side, this is where it usually gets twisted and then connected to the inside frame bulkhead fittings. I traced mine 3 times and then had my son come over and double check mine to verify. Done trust a service center to make sure they are right....mine said they were fine and when I got it home I checked again and they were still wrong. The line from the top of the motor should go to the front bulkhead fitting as you can see in the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
S2 DEF Line Routing1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPN 3363 code 456-fc3242.pdf (92.2 KB, 26 views)

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #23

Brian, I am calling the 24/7 number in the door of the cab. If there is a better one to call please let me know.

Also, I just ordered my BlueFire. If you can share your dash through PM it will save me from starting with a generic one from their site. Thanks, Allan
Old 08-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #24

BTW, thanks for posting the line routing.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #25

I had a similar problem and it was the DEF wiring harness that was crushed because it was under a part of the leveling jacks. I will try to send you the two page write up as an attachment .
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #26

This is page 1. There are two pages
Attached Thumbnails
71C6B617-6CB9-43BD-97A7-C76B6F2BCD24.jpg  
Old 08-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #27

Thank you! I will trace the harness also.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #28

This is page 2
Attached Thumbnails
C460F91E-AB4C-4445-A044-A031571DA286.jpg  
Old 08-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #29

The problem with the harness is its not a an item that dealers stock. They have to request that Freightliner to call their supplier and they make one. That usually talkes about 4 days.
The dealer had me call Freightliner customer service and they helped me. It was a miracle they found one in 2 days someplace. They put it on but when the harness shorted out it destroyed some things in the DEF Header so they had to order that too. It came in the next day and we were ready to go. I drove the RV from Texas to MN the next day. Since then I took it on another 500 mile trip in extreme heat and everything has worked perfect. Total miles since repair about 1500.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Brian, I am calling the 24/7 number in the door of the cab. If there is a better one to call please let me know.

Also, I just ordered my BlueFire. If you can share your dash through PM it will save me from starting with a generic one from their site. Thanks, Allan

PM me an email to send the dash file to. Once it is up and running, watch the DEF Temp, it should run between 10°-15° above ambient temp. I very hot days like 100+ where you are picking up a lot of road heat, up to 20° above ambient may happen. The hottest I have seen mine was 118° in 108° outside temps. With the crossed lines, I have heard that the DEF tank temp can get in excess of 140°

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #31

Wondering if anyone has a part number for the 2015 Seneca Freightliner DEF manifold? Thinking it might be smart to carry a spare just in case......
tmccl96209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #32

Best thing to do is call freightliner and give them the Vin on your vehicle. I did then went online and got mine on eBay .
jack4540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccl96209 View Post
Wondering if anyone has a part number for the 2015 Seneca Freightliner DEF manifold? Thinking it might be smart to carry a spare just in case......
Check the replacement procedures to see if any special tools are required. Doesn’t help to have a spare if you can’t change it due to not having the tools.

When they changed mine the shop ticket mentions the mechanic walking from one shop to another to get a tool to remove a ring on the DEF Header.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #34

Maybe time for a class action

With the neverending cases of def header failures, maybe it time for a full recall or a class action lawsuit. The costs and convenience incurred by these vehicles is mounting.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseneca View Post
With the neverending cases of def header failures, maybe it time for a full recall or a class action lawsuit. The costs and convenience incurred by these vehicles is mounting.
Folks need to report it to the NHTSA so they can initiate a recall. I plan to submit my problems to them next week.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Check the replacement procedures to see if any special tools are required. Doesn’t help to have a spare if you can’t change it due to not having the tools.

When they changed mine the shop ticket mentions the mechanic walking from one shop to another to get a tool to remove a ring on the DEF Header.
The mechanic on YouTube used two special tools for removal and installation, a hammer and a large screwdriver. On cars they recommend using a brass punch so you don't blow up working around a gas tank
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #37

Back home in Carmel, IN; I waited a week for Cummins Engine Mobile Unit to come service my continuing DEF issue. I didn't feel like taking a chance of getting stranded on the 25 mile trip to the local Cummins dealer, so I requested that they come to my house. After two days, he could find NOTHING wrong with the system. Tech support suggested they take a test drive with his computer hooked up and monitor the pump pressure. Operating pressure on the DEF pump should be somewhere in the 125-130 psi range. Occasionally mine would dip down close to 100-105. At that lower pressure the dosing valve (nozzle) won't reset without missing a cycle. Once it misses a cycle, it throws a fault that the unit is applying "too much DEF". Since this is an infrequent phenomenon, your system checks out fine when someone goes through the normal procedures. My Cummins guy said to pressure your repair people to call Tech support and ask for a new pump on any DEF issue! I agree with the earlier suggestion of reporting this to the National Transportation Dept, because we really can't use our RVs in hot weather.
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #38

I agree with reporting this to get a campaign started on these DEF units. We traveled back from VA to TX over the weekend and did not have a problem while in TN under cloud cover and rain. Once in AR in the afternoon sun the check engine light came on and Scan Gauge showed the 3363 code again. Traveling with grandkids Freightliner wants me to find a dealer on the weekend and take it to them while the light is on or wait for it to fail and go into a derate. Neither are good options. After 3 key on/off events the light goes out and it is no longer "active". Three times now my DEF header has overheated, it needs to be replaced. This week I am getting on my creeper and tracing the coolant lines, my bet is they are crossed even though the Freightliner tech said they were not when I took it in a few weeks ago.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #39

Here is a link to Cummins and EPA execs emails if you would like to fill their inboxes up
https://www.rvtravel.com/stuck-def-s...l-cummins-epa/

Decent article on DEF issues. To me the comments are more interesting than the article.
https://www.rvtravel.com/bad-def-sen...YcCxKuQhQLUZGU
Old 09-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Here is a link to Cummins and EPA execs emails if you would like to fill their inboxes up
https://www.rvtravel.com/stuck-def-s...l-cummins-epa/

Decent article on DEF issues. To me the comments are more interesting than the article.
https://www.rvtravel.com/bad-def-sen...YcCxKuQhQLUZGU
Thanks for the info. I emailed all four Cummins execs, the two EPA guys, and the Notre Dame engineer! Let's see if they respond.
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote