Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Grease splattered under RV

Just now starting to get a feel for our new Seneca in the driveway. Noticed this morning that a white housing of some sort is covered in splattered grease. It’s about midway on the underside of the Seneca. Picture attached. I assume this is a slide out motor but seems the grease came from something in the vicinity and not what is in the casing itself.

Any thoughts or similar issues folks have had like this appreciated. Still under warranty so I assume this means it’s headed back to the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
1C7371B4-70E8-458C-B8A5-A8FADD452794.jpg  
jeffgladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
That's from the hydraulic system, check for a leak or crack in the white container
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #3

The grease is from the the driveline getting greased and the person doing the greasing not wiping off the excess grease. Take a look and you will see a driveline slip joint directly in line with that spray pattern, you can see it in the picture. There usually is an oil residue on the plastic tank but the spray pattern is not a leak from the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
1C7371B4-70E8-458C-B8A5-A8FADD452794_LI.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

So Rustynuts, probably not an issue then?
I do see the driveline right there and was hoping it was coming from there and not a leak.

JG
Old 04-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgladd View Post
So Rustynuts, probably not an issue then?
I do see the driveline right there and was hoping it was coming from there and not a leak.

JG

No its not an issue at all, every Seneca I have seen looks this same way, its been asked about before. It never hurts to ask if you have a concern, just clean it off if it bothers you. You will probably see the same pattern on the floor above it and the other frame rail, it just doesnt show up like it does on the tank. I do my own service and always wipe off any excess grease to keep the chassis cleaner.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
No its not an issue at all, every Seneca I have seen looks this same way, its been asked about before. It never hurts to ask if you have a concern, just clean it off if it bothers you. You will probably see the same pattern on the floor above it and the other frame rail, it just doesnt show up like it does on the tank. I do my own service and always wipe off any excess grease to keep the chassis cleaner.
Sooo helpful and I'm thankful you are willing to share your wisdom. Since you do all of your own service, can you lmk what you do to prevent rust on the underside frame? I was a little disappointed to see some areas on a '21 but suspect it's inevitable, but I would like to try and maintain the underside as much as possible for the long-term. Do you use any underside rust oil to treat active rust and prevent future stuff?
Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #7

Seems I am constantly working on projects in or under our Seneca and always find new areas of rust. Like many new coaches, yes they will have rust in spots. Most of it is light rust and I would just hit it with a wire brush and then paint it with Ace Rust Stop spray paint which seems to work very well. On the spots that were worse in the rear, probably from being transported during the winter, I hit them with a wire brush and then Permatex Rust treatment and once dry, spray it with the Ace Rust Stop. None of the spots I have done have come back at all and as I am doing work, I always have these 2 products on a low shelf that I just roll over to on the creeper and grab them and clean things up and paint. Being in Oregon, we dont have to deal with road salts so the chassis stays pretty rust free. I have used Fluid Film on equipment that sets outside and and it works awesome and I know a lot of people use Fluid Film to treat their entire chassis for a rust preventative.
Attached Thumbnails
489f6c65-71d2-40ca-9b37-3b858c2f08f4.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2021, 03:55 PM   #8

I am a die hard fan of Fluid film. I coat my entire plow, snow blower, truck under carriage, lawn mowers my trailers and anything else I want protected form the salt / brine or just plain weather. I buy a 5 gallon pail twice per year!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #9

Hello to you folks. Regarding Fluid Film- is there anything you should avoid spraying with it? Like bushings, and things of that sort? I've seen it on Youtube, and I am considering using it. I live in an area (South Dakota) where salt is often used on the roads, and it shows based on the rust on many cars on the road, here. Thanks for the information!!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
The grease is from the the driveline getting greased and the person doing the greasing not wiping off the excess grease. Take a look and you will see a driveline slip joint directly in line with that spray pattern, you can see it in the picture. There usually is an oil residue on the plastic tank but the spray pattern is not a leak from the tank.
You've probably seen Dexter, talking about splatter patterns and all!!!
You beat me to it
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote