Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 02:39 AM   #1

Another 28bhbe ordered - couple of questions

I finally put the order in this past week. After looking and researching for months we kept coming back to this floor plan. We (myself, wife, and 2 kids ages 12 and 10) are upgrading from our first travel trailer. A KZ unit we bought in 2008 that we have now outgrown. It worked great when the kids were toddlers but not so much anymore. I ordered the Jayco with every option available except for the television. It seemed pricey for a 720p panel. I went back and forth on the fiberglass sides and ultimately decided to keep them. Same with the 2nd AC. In the end I figured it can't really hurt. Our KZ which was much smaller managed just fine here in the Florida summer most of the time. Occasionally, usually when there was little shade, it kept the unit comfortable but ran almost non stop. Comfortable being a relative term as my wife complains it is too cold when the temp gets down to 76. We will be towing with a new 2015 F350 diesel SRW that we just purchased as well. This brings me to my first question.

Can anyone tell me the ball height for the trailer when it is level? I currently have an Equalizer brand hitch which I have been very pleased with over the years. Unfortunately it is the 10k model so I will be buying a new 14k one for the increased tongue weight capacity. I also plan on getting a shank to fit the truck's 2.5 inch receiver. I am trying to calculate how much of a drop I will need. Equalizer makes 2.5" shanks with both 4" and 6" drops. They are adjustable in 1.25" increments. My current KZ requires a 3" drop.

Second question: can anyone tell me the width and height measurements of the area for the television? I would like to see if I can find a 40" or maybe even 42" that will fit. My dealer is a couple of hours away making for a not so easy visit. When I asked the dealer for measurements I was simply told to buy a 39". I am willing to get rid of the swivel mount if it gets me an extra couple of inches.

I'm sure I will have more questions as I start planning mods / improvements. Can't wait! It looks like we will get a couple of more trips out of the old KZ while we wait. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Logan0171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Congrats on the custom order!

We ordered one in mid November and it made it to our dealer on Friday, I ordered everything except the Fiberglass Sides, Bumper Grill, Electric Stabilizers and Sway Control.

I spent a lot of time pondering the Fiberglass sides and after getting info direct from Jayco, including pics and info of the building process and some other sources I decided to go Aluminum, the Sliding windows also led me that way. I did request some other mods and Jayco did most of them.

I also am wondering the height of the tongue, I meant to measure it last Friday when I took a peak at the camper but forgot. I just ordered a 12K Equalizer, we are towing with a 2015 F250 and the Max Tongue with WDH is 12K so I felt the 14K was a little much, and I hope to keep my tongue weight as light as possible though having the 2nd AC does not help. I had a 10K on my last camper and like you liked it.

As for the TV I wanted it to be factory installed so went with the 39", price seemed high but after the discount I got it cut it down pretty good so it was worth it to me to get it from the factory.

I am fairly certain this is the TV that comes with it after seeing it in person…

39ā€¯ HD LED TV - FURRION

It pretty much takes up the whole opening but I would think you could get a 40" in it, maybe a 42"… if you look at the trailer in this link you will see the 39" in the opening.

https://terrytownrv.com/new-rvs-in-g...0648-for-sale/

Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Hey Logan, just to give you a few ideas, you can look through this thread. Page 5 shows where I ditched the TV swivel and put a solid wall there. The TV in the picture is the one that came with the rig, so it'll give you an idea of how much room you might have. If you need a measurement, I'm sure my wife can help me out and send one since I'm offshore now. Some pictures are sideways in the thread but you'll get the idea.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-30052-5.html

Might find a few more mods that might interest you in there too, like residential fridge. Overall it's a good rig. We full time in ours with 3 kids. Goes without saying we're a "close" family.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Welcome aboard. Wish I could help answer your questions
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?
I ordered from Tradewinds RV in Ocala. I felt they would provide better service if needed.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new 28BHBE and welcome to the JOF.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Hey Logan, just to give you a few ideas, you can look through this thread. Page 5 shows where I ditched the TV swivel and put a solid wall there. The TV in the picture is the one that came with the rig, so it'll give you an idea of how much room you might have. If you need a measurement, I'm sure my wife can help me out and send one since I'm offshore now. Some pictures are sideways in the thread but you'll get the idea.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...e-30052-5.html

Might find a few more mods that might interest you in there too, like residential fridge. Overall it's a good rig. We full time in ours with 3 kids. Goes without saying we're a "close" family.
Great mods! I do suspect that the Tv pictured there is smaller than the 39" currently available. I have seen some pictures online and with the 39" it does appear to have only an inch or so of space around the sides. When I get around to some mods of my own I might have some questions for you. Especially when it comes to sealing the roof. Does that coating over the skylights block all light or is it more translucent?
Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on the new 28BHBE and welcome to the JOF.
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

I've never done the outer coating alone. I'm sure it might show a little something through it. Always have done the insulation and reflectix along with painting the inside of the inner dome, which blocks 100% of everything. Feel free to PM or post on that thread with any questions. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing what all you mod on your rig.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #10

We also purchased an Equalizer 12k, as we also thought the 14K was a bit too much. We ordered our model (which came in last week) with the 32" knowing fully we were going to replace it with a Roku 40" TV. Well, Jayco accidentally included a 39" with my trailer which I ended up selling. The entire opening where the TV sits is 37 1/4" wide and my 40" is 36" which fits perfectly. The swivel mechanism is pretty horrible, and we may end up ditching it like BigJohnD has.

2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote