Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #41
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha.... I was just thinking that a little while ago, the money spent on bottled water is crazy.

I'm also wondering, the people that put these fancy water filter systems on their rigs, do you also do the same thing will all the water that comes into your homes?

Yes, Phoenix water tastes terrible but is safe to drink. Most water in the desert is hard as a rock and tastes about the same. The water we drink at the house comes from an RO system after it has gone through a whole house filter system and then a softener. We stopped carrying bottled water in the RV and went to a Brita system, after it has gone through a filter and softener.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I am no greeny or tree hugger but the main problem with all of this bottled water is the plastic that ends up in the landfills. Too few recycle, and even that process is questionable. With very few exceptions there is no need to carry bottled water. A good RO system, while somewhat of a water waster (unless you use the 0 system, which I have) is better than all of the plastic.
We found a good way to feel better and not produce tons of plastic waste were those big 5 gallon refillable water cooler jugs. They sell the hand pumps that screw on top so you can use them camping or “off grid”. Not a perfect solution as you need to hope the RO water source is properly maintained, but we’ve had the same jugs for 3 years now so no landfill.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #43

I bring 5 gallon water bottles and have a hand pump that mounts on the top. I use a big blue with a softener cartridge to treat the campground water but avoid drinking it
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #44

I use 3 filters.

Coarse carbon at hosebib before hose. Then a carbon coarse at end of hose followed by a 5micron fine filter just before the trailer.

Will eventually pit the dual filtera internal to trailer.

Using the 3 filters cleans up any possiblea from campground, as well as off taste from hose laying on ground.

Hose is a goodyear potable rated for hotwater. Pigtails on ends of filter canisters are reinforced vinyl clear hose with crimped garsen hose fittings.
krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #45

I guess it depends on the water source.. I’m sure some campgrounds in the country have beautiful clean potable water. I don’t drink it only because Cape Cod tap water has a historically weird taste much different than wonderful tap reservoir water we get at home in central MA.. whether here at the CG, or anywhere else down here.. I do make ice cubes with it and wash dishes with it. I use the camco blue inline filter. We drink, make coffee with bottled water..
Old 09-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to Bauernfeind
Water Safety

My initial response is "Huh?" Why wouldn't you use campground water? I have a regular filter in-line installed but I've traveled not only this country but many others and never had an issue with the water.
Bauernfeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #47

Drinking water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
Does anyone drink campground water when traveling? If so, what are you filtering it with? We have been buying gallons for coffee and our pup, bottled for drinking.
I drive the CG water. It’s filtered though the water filter that come on our Precept 29V.
I usually get my water supply through my beer, wine, whisky... well you get the picture.
m16303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Does anyone drink campground water when traveling? If so, what are you filtering it with? We have been buying gallons for coffee and our pup, bottled for drinking.
We do not drink any water coming through camper plumbing.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #49

Berkey Water Filter...never leave home without it.
chrisstraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #50

Combo of both. Cook with the CG water. Drink bottled. No problems.
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #51

Why no just make one out of PEX if you're that concerned?
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #52

We use an under counter 1:1 RO unit and then a UV sterilization chamber. I route the RO reject stream back to the fresh water tank to not waste it. No more carrying cases of bottled water. No more trash bags full of empty plastic bottles. Our water is now as good or better than bottled water. We could fill our fresh water tank with lake or river water in an emergency and still have perfect drinking water from our system. The RO unit is small and does not require a storage tank. The whole system was less than $300 and took about 1.5 hours to install. It works great!!
James AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #53

We use the standard blue inline filter and make coffee, cook, and take pills with the campground water. The rest of what we drink comes in plastic, glass, or aluminum.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #54

We keep a Brita pitcher in the trailer and filter it that way
splinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
the US has not yet become a 3rd world country
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Never did, always use 1 gallon bottled water for coffee & drinks, I use campground water for washing & I have a charcoal filter at the inlet.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #57

Travel Berkey

Quote:
We bring our Travel Berkey for coffee and our dog .. and drinking..
Also bring extra 1 liter bottles to fill..
Nor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #58

Yes, we do. We use in-line water filters. Also, we spray the water faucet with bleach and wipe it down really good before connecting our drinking water hose. Never had any issues—up until now anyway!
Old 09-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #59

Filtered water.

We filter at the source with an in line filter to protect the RV systems and then use a britta pitcher to filter the drinking water. Never had an issue.

I’ve had some pretty nasty water traveling around the world. We (US) do a pretty great job of providing quality tap water.
LexGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #60

We never drink anything out of the RV fixtures, and I sanitize my FW tank routinely and filter everything that comes into the rigs water system with one external filter. I tossed the internal filter. I will ,however, Brush my teeth with park water. It’s not the same thing as digesting but I’m sure if there was a big issue with CG water I’d also get sick.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote