Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Costco/Interstate 6V golf cart batteries

We typically camp at CGs with full hookups, but I've been thinking about doing more dry camping this year and beyond. We own a 2021 SLX 287BHS with a single Interstate Group 24 battery, which, as we've discovered, isn't meant for dry camping. (Please note that I'm talking about going a night or 3, certainly not going cross country --yet.) For such occasional use, are these 6V GC batteries from Costco a good bet at $90 + core charge? I did visit an Interstate dealer, and they quoted ~$175/ battery, although I'm uncertain if it's a comparable model. I'm willing to look at other brands if there are recommendations out there.

Also, at some point in the next year or so I'd like to add solar (TT is prewired for 300 W.) If I buy 2- 6V batteries now, can I add another pair next year, or should they all be the same age? Many thanks.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
20210317_122217.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Hey Doug, we went with two 6v golf cart batteries for the last few years in our travel trailer and just moved them to our fifth wheel this year. I’m hoping to get five years out of them, but even if I get three I’ll be happy! They lasted us on boondocking trips for three days no problem. They started to get low on day four (12.1v measured in serial) and I started to use a 100w panel to keep us topped off on those four day trips. 12.1 is 50% and you don’t want non-lithium batteries to really drop below that to get the best lifespan out of them. My golf cart batteries were rated at a bit higher amp hour than the Costco ones (225 instead of 210). A harbor freight 100w solar kit with these batteries would probably get you through 4 or 5 day boondocking trips based on my experience. If you buy from Costco I would try to get ones that are matched (same manufacturer date on the sticker) and make sure they have at least 6.12v (60% charge) in them before you buy them and then put them on a charger when you get them home. I keep mine on a noco charger over winter to make sure they don’t die prematurely as well.

I would buy my whole set at the same time if you are still considering four. If you have an unmatched set the new ones will often age more rapidly to “match” the oldest batteries in the array. Golf cart forums often have really good info on batteries and Will Prowse on YouTube is also a decent source but recently he’s mostly just talking lithium batteries.

Hope this helps.
jasonnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnorton View Post
I’m hoping to get five years out of them, but even if I get three I’ll be happy!.....snip
My (2) 6V Interstate Deep Cycle batteries are going on 10 years old and still preform great on my extended boondocking trips......, a little care goes a long way!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #4

I have 4 Costco 6v batteries in my Pinnacle and they work great. 3 years old and still going strong. Additionally I have 450 watts of solar panels on the roof. Between the batteries and the solar, I can boondocks for at least a week in sunny weather with no problem. This includes keeping the residential refrigerator going.

Jim
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

I've been using four Sams Club 6V golf cart batteries in my boat for about 20 years or more. I don't know if Cosco batteries will last as long but they should be similar quality. I've replaced them once and may need to replace them again this season so I'm getting about 10 years on them. My boat is on a mooring so it's like boondocking all the time. Previous to the golf cart batteries, I used 12V deep-cycle marine batteries. They didn't have enough power for my needs. I've learned that avoiding deep discharge prolongs the life of these things. I charge them daily by running the engine and don't discharge them more than about 50%. I have solar panes but they don't provide enough power alone. I don't boondock all that much with our camper so I haven't bothered to upgrade my camper batteries. If I did, I wouldn't chose a pair of golf-cart batteries because of weight. Weight isn't an issue with my boat but the camper would be a different story.

PROS: These things are inexpensive relative to top-of-the-line batteries like Trojan. If I damage the battery bank by over-discharging it, I'm not out several grand.
They last several years if properly maintained.

CONS: These things are heavy, about 60 lbs each, so a pair of these will weigh 120 lbs. In your case, I assume they would be mounted on the front of the camper so all the weight is on the hitch.
NOTE: It's hard to get batteries charged up to a full 100% even with a bulk charger. When computing battery capacity, assume that you'll get to 90%. If you only discharge to 50%, you have only 40% of the rated battery capacity available for use on a daily basis. So, if you add up your estimated power consumption, you'll need a lead-acid battery that is 2.5 times that size, minimum. If you estimate a 35AH/day load, you'll need at least an 87.5AH battery. A group 31 marine battery would do this, weighing about 60 LBS. I use no more than about 100AH/day in my boat. The four golf-cart batteries are rated at 440AH so I'm well under the rated capacity. That's why they last so long.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #6

I got 2 Costco 6 volt batteries, should have got 4 right from the start. No problems with them now for 3 years.

I could probably get a few days without solar, but if the heat turns on you will only get a night or 2 at best. How long they last depends on what you turn on.
When Boondocking you use a lot, you arrive, put the jacks down, put the slides out, fridge is running, yes it uses power on propane. Water pump turns on, water pump turns on again, heat turns on, hot water tank uses power on propane also, water pump turns on again, lol, charging the phones, turn the radio on, put the awning out, bring the awning back in at night.....

Even if you conserve, you use a lot.

I have 300 watts solar, 4 batteries and I still use the generator almost everyday to top them off.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

Anyone have opinions about Trojan 6 volts vs interstate or other brands of 6 volt batteries....with a minimum of 225 amp hours? Getting ready to upgrade from 12 volts to 6 volt ....installing solar panels, controller now....

Any thoughts appreciated...
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #8

Thanks to all responders-- very helpful! TT isbhaving some warranty work attended to at the moment, but I'll be picking up at least a pair of 6V batteries when I get it back.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sola123 View Post
Anyone have opinions about Trojan 6 volts vs interstate or other brands of 6 volt batteries.....snip......Any thoughts appreciated...
Check out Post #1 in the following JOF thread link, may shed some light on what to look for.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...buy-44293.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Check out Post #1 in the following JOF thread link, may shed some light on what to look for.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...buy-44293.html

Bob
This looks like an excellent resource -- many thanks!
Old 03-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

When I first switched out Seneca to 6 volts, I had always used Trojan 105's with great success, last motorhome had 8 year old batteries still going strong. I checked into the Costco Interstates and reading reviews on Costco.com and on other RV sites, they seem to have a high failure rate after about 2 years. In the end I went with the Trojan 105's for our Seneca.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #12

I am a floor scrubber technician for walmarts across west texas and we use the Trojan t-105's in all of the machines I service. We have used several different brands over the years but the Trojans are by far my favorite in terms of holding a charge and battery life. The key to extending the life of these batteries is making sure to keep the water levels topped off, and keep them cool while charging to ensure maximum charge level is attained. Always be sure to use distilled water when refilling the batteries as regular tap water can cause harm to the batteries. Cheapest way is to get a couple of gallons of baby water from the store and keep them in the camper.

Jacob DeWolfe
2004 Jayco Jayflight 28FKS
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
jacobdewolfe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobdewolfe11 View Post
I am a floor scrubber technician for walmarts across west texas and we use the Trojan t-105's in all of the machines I service. We have used several different brands over the years but the Trojans are by far my favorite in terms of holding a charge and battery life. The key to extending the life of these batteries is making sure to keep the water levels topped off, and keep them cool while charging to ensure maximum charge level is attained. Always be sure to use distilled water when refilling the batteries as regular tap water can cause harm to the batteries. Cheapest way is to get a couple of gallons of baby water from the store and keep them in the camper.

Jacob DeWolfe
2004 Jayco Jayflight 28FKS
2009 Chevy Silverado 1500
Thanks Jacob. Just googled "Trojan t-105" and most of what I come up with are "replacements for Trojan t-105" (except for Amazon, which curiously puts a different Trojan product at the top of the search result 😄 ) I've seen a few true 105s offered, but either can't be shipped to a residential address in my state or they are *many* hundreds of $ plus $150 shipping. As I'm not relying on these batteries for day-to-day living, I think I'll try the Costco Interstates and see what they'll do.

Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
Thanks Jacob. Just googled "Trojan t-105" and most of what I come up with are "replacements for Trojan t-105" (except for Amazon, which curiously puts a different Trojan product at the top of the search result 😄 ) I've seen a few true 105s offered, but either can't be shipped to a residential address in my state or they are *many* hundreds of $ plus $150 shipping. As I'm not relying on these batteries for day-to-day living, I think I'll try the Costco Interstates and see what they'll do.

Thanks again.
I think that most RV Dealers would have Trojan T-105 batteries available. I purchased a new pair last winter in Quartzsite for $135 each.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I think that most RV Dealers would have Trojan T-105 batteries available. I purchased a new pair last winter in Quartzsite for $135 each.
Honestly doubt mine has. But they do have my trailer in the shop (waiting for warranty work: this small Jayco-specific dealership was recently sold to a larger multi-brand local competitor, supposedly with promises of "better" and "more convenient location." But we shall see what that means.) Thank you.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #16

I asked this question to Jayco:
I have a 2016 28BHBE purchased in October of 2015.
I was looking at house batteries and am contemplating whether to use 2 6 volt golf cart batteries in series or 1 12 volt AGM battery.

Question is, I do believe my on board charger will charge the golf cart batteries in series but will it properly charge the AGM battery? I understand the AGM batteries are more fickle, but not sure. I want to do this right.

Thank you

Here is their response:
Jayco would only recommend group 27 deep cycle marine battery. We would not be able to advise on anything else since its not been tested here at the factory.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #17

I believe AGM will work fine with the stock converter. Why not e mail WFCO with the model # and ask? I know that on a Kenworth, when AGM batteries were installed from the factory, no other changes were made. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #18

I am split between these two choices. One is 6V, the other (assuming 4 batteries total) has a higher amp hour total.

6V AGM Lifeline 4ct 220 amp hours Dimensions 13.09 x 6.60 x 9.25 in https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...r/gpl-27t.html

12 V AGM VMAX tanks xtr12-155 155 amp hours 12.9"w x 6.9"d x 10"h/10.8th
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/XTR12-155-...ry-_p_154.html
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
I asked this quuestion
Here is their response:
Jayco would only recommend group 27 deep cycle marine battery. We would not be able to advise on anything else since its not been tested here at the factory.
Not surprising that they’d not know. Maybe ask the converter / charger manufacturer for a better response.
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #20

They both look like 12V to me. Wrong link?
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote