Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #61
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Hello I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2011 Jayco Octane 26y and I noticed that my fresh water tanks are doing the same as you described. Did anyone find a solution. The dealer says the same thing....It designed to do that. As you guys, When I get to my location I have lost about 1/3 of my tank. It's also aggravating sitting at the gas station adding fuel for the generator and the thing is leaking like a river. Any advice will be appricated.
__________________

Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #62
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie View Post
Hello I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2011 Jayco Octane 26y and I noticed that my fresh water tanks are doing the same as you described. Did anyone find a solution. The dealer says the same thing....It designed to do that. As you guys, When I get to my location I have lost about 1/3 of my tank. It's also aggravating sitting at the gas station adding fuel for the generator and the thing is leaking like a river. Any advice will be appricated.

Welcome to the forum, Rick!
Some have installed valves on the fresh water tank overflow pipes. Just remember to turn the valve on when filling the tank, off when traveling. Details are available earlier in this thread.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
Instead of installing valves, I just cut a 6 inch section from an old drinking water hose and use it to connect the two overflow tube ends. The overflow tubes fit nice and tight inside the white hose.

Bill
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake City, MI summer, FL winter
Posts: 107
There are several fixes in this topic. I have a 2012 model and have the problem, so I doubt it is fixed from the factory yet. Here is my copy/paste from my post, cost less than $5:

>>Yesterday I went to Home Depot to figure out what I could do to fix. I bought two Pex barbed fittings with 1/2" treads, and two 1/2" PVC caps. I remove the >>caps when filling, then put them on for the trip. It would be easy to screw on a couple valves instead of the caps, but the caps are much cheaper.

I'm still happy with the caps, I have forgot to put them back on after camping, but they are only 39 cents each.
__________________
'07 Chevy Druamax LBZ
2017 Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Jay Flight 19RD (sold)

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
I just plugged the line.. fill the whole tank and use it... no problems in the 2.5 years I have had this RV..
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
The biggest problem my 26BH is that it has two fresh water tanks, and the way they are plumbed together doesn't allow for efficient filling.

The tanks each have two overflow/vent tube connections at the top. The two rear tank tubes are connected to the two front tank tubes with tee fittings. Sections of tube are connected to the third connect point on each of the tees, which are the overflow tubes seen pointing toward the ground.

The problem is, when filling them, the water fills the forward tank first. When it tops out, water starts flowing out of the front tank overflows. The flowing water prevents the air pressure building up in the rear tank from escaping, causing it to fill very slowly.

When I plug the two vent lines, quite a bit of air pressure build up in the rear tank. When I filled my tanks yesterday I had the lines plugged. When I removed the plug, air literally blasted out of the overflows.

To allow the pressure to escape, I'm going to remove one of the tees connecting a front tank tube to a rear tank tube. That will prevent any pressure buildup, and hopefully allow the tanks to fill evenly.

Oh, and I took it in for a warranty fix, and guess what they did? The added two more vent lines... to the front tank! Exactly where they weren't needed! If they added vents to the rear tank, all would have been well. I didn't make an issue of it, because I knew I could easily make it work right myself. I need to quit procrastinating and just fix it.

Bill
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
The biggest problem my 26BH is that it has two fresh water tanks, and the way they are plumbed together doesn't allow for efficient filling.

The tanks each have two overflow/vent tube connections at the top. The two rear tank tubes are connected to the two front tank tubes with tee fittings. Sections of tube are connected to the third connect point on each of the tees, which are the overflow tubes seen pointing toward the ground.

The problem is, when filling them, the water fills the forward tank first. When it tops out, water starts flowing out of the front tank overflows. The flowing water prevents the air pressure building up in the rear tank from escaping, causing it to fill very slowly.

When I plug the two vent lines, quite a bit of air pressure build up in the rear tank. When I filled my tanks yesterday I had the lines plugged. When I removed the plug, air literally blasted out of the overflows.

To allow the pressure to escape, I'm going to remove one of the tees connecting a front tank tube to a rear tank tube. That will prevent any pressure buildup, and hopefully allow the tanks to fill evenly.

Oh, and I took it in for a warranty fix, and guess what they did? The added two more vent lines... to the front tank! Exactly where they weren't needed! If they added vents to the rear tank, all would have been well. I didn't make an issue of it, because I knew I could easily make it work right myself. I need to quit procrastinating and just fix it.

Bill
That is interesting Bill. I too have a 26BH and don't experience that same issue. I have never looked closely at how they are plumbed, but I haven't had any issued getting both tanks full at nearly the same time. Yes my forward tank fills first, but only 1-2 minutes before the rear tanks fills. This is based on noticing when the first overflows starts flowing and then the second. We have dry camped several times where having a full load of water has been important and nothing has given me the indication I am not getting the tanks full. Right now it is in storage, but we have a trip planned after the first of the year and I'll take a closer look at how the two tanks are plumbed and vented.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
That is interesting Bill. I too have a 26BH and don't experience that same issue. I have never looked closely at how they are plumbed, but I haven't had any issued getting both tanks full at nearly the same time. Yes my forward tank fills first, but only 1-2 minutes before the rear tanks fills. This is based on noticing when the first overflows starts flowing and then the second. We have dry camped several times where having a full load of water has been important and nothing has given me the indication I am not getting the tanks full. Right now it is in storage, but we have a trip planned after the first of the year and I'll take a closer look at how the two tanks are plumbed and vented.
Maybe Jayco redesigned the tank plumbing connections on the 2012 models. Mine is a 2011.

Bill
__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 923
It is amazing to me that this hasn't been fixed at the factory yet. We KNOW that the company reads these posting...are they just ignoring such a dumb engineering mistake as this?
This problem has been going on for several YEARS now. C'mon Jayco, this is an easy fix, so FIX it!!!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CENTRAL NEW YORK
Posts: 768
Well add me to the list. I have a 2013 33 RLDS and lost 1/3 of my water from the fill station and the 1/2 mile to the site. I lost even more as the site was un- level and I had to lift the front all the way up with 6 inches of wood under jack to get off it off my TV. Searched and found this thread. I will probably do the remote valves as my vent hoses are pretty far under behind the tires.

I also gashed my thigh open getting out of my chair at the table as the bottom edges are razor sharp.
Other than that, we had a good time first trip out !!!

Mike
__________________

__________________
2013 33 RLDS
2004 Chevy Avalanche 2500 8.1
2007 TBSS
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.