Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #61

Hello I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2011 Jayco Octane 26y and I noticed that my fresh water tanks are doing the same as you described. Did anyone find a solution. The dealer says the same thing....It designed to do that. As you guys, When I get to my location I have lost about 1/3 of my tank. It's also aggravating sitting at the gas station adding fuel for the generator and the thing is leaking like a river. Any advice will be appricated.

Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #62
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickie View Post
Hello I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2011 Jayco Octane 26y and I noticed that my fresh water tanks are doing the same as you described. Did anyone find a solution. The dealer says the same thing....It designed to do that. As you guys, When I get to my location I have lost about 1/3 of my tank. It's also aggravating sitting at the gas station adding fuel for the generator and the thing is leaking like a river. Any advice will be appricated.

Welcome to the forum, Rick!
Some have installed valves on the fresh water tank overflow pipes. Just remember to turn the valve on when filling the tank, off when traveling. Details are available earlier in this thread.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #63

Instead of installing valves, I just cut a 6 inch section from an old drinking water hose and use it to connect the two overflow tube ends. The overflow tubes fit nice and tight inside the white hose.

Bill
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #64

There are several fixes in this topic. I have a 2012 model and have the problem, so I doubt it is fixed from the factory yet. Here is my copy/paste from my post, cost less than $5:

>>Yesterday I went to Home Depot to figure out what I could do to fix. I bought two Pex barbed fittings with 1/2" treads, and two 1/2" PVC caps. I remove the >>caps when filling, then put them on for the trip. It would be easy to screw on a couple valves instead of the caps, but the caps are much cheaper.

I'm still happy with the caps, I have forgot to put them back on after camping, but they are only 39 cents each.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #65

I just plugged the line.. fill the whole tank and use it... no problems in the 2.5 years I have had this RV..
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #66

The biggest problem my 26BH is that it has two fresh water tanks, and the way they are plumbed together doesn't allow for efficient filling.

The tanks each have two overflow/vent tube connections at the top. The two rear tank tubes are connected to the two front tank tubes with tee fittings. Sections of tube are connected to the third connect point on each of the tees, which are the overflow tubes seen pointing toward the ground.

The problem is, when filling them, the water fills the forward tank first. When it tops out, water starts flowing out of the front tank overflows. The flowing water prevents the air pressure building up in the rear tank from escaping, causing it to fill very slowly.

When I plug the two vent lines, quite a bit of air pressure build up in the rear tank. When I filled my tanks yesterday I had the lines plugged. When I removed the plug, air literally blasted out of the overflows.

To allow the pressure to escape, I'm going to remove one of the tees connecting a front tank tube to a rear tank tube. That will prevent any pressure buildup, and hopefully allow the tanks to fill evenly.

Oh, and I took it in for a warranty fix, and guess what they did? The added two more vent lines... to the front tank! Exactly where they weren't needed! If they added vents to the rear tank, all would have been well. I didn't make an issue of it, because I knew I could easily make it work right myself. I need to quit procrastinating and just fix it.

Bill
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
The biggest problem my 26BH is that it has two fresh water tanks, and the way they are plumbed together doesn't allow for efficient filling.

The tanks each have two overflow/vent tube connections at the top. The two rear tank tubes are connected to the two front tank tubes with tee fittings. Sections of tube are connected to the third connect point on each of the tees, which are the overflow tubes seen pointing toward the ground.

The problem is, when filling them, the water fills the forward tank first. When it tops out, water starts flowing out of the front tank overflows. The flowing water prevents the air pressure building up in the rear tank from escaping, causing it to fill very slowly.

When I plug the two vent lines, quite a bit of air pressure build up in the rear tank. When I filled my tanks yesterday I had the lines plugged. When I removed the plug, air literally blasted out of the overflows.

To allow the pressure to escape, I'm going to remove one of the tees connecting a front tank tube to a rear tank tube. That will prevent any pressure buildup, and hopefully allow the tanks to fill evenly.

Oh, and I took it in for a warranty fix, and guess what they did? The added two more vent lines... to the front tank! Exactly where they weren't needed! If they added vents to the rear tank, all would have been well. I didn't make an issue of it, because I knew I could easily make it work right myself. I need to quit procrastinating and just fix it.

Bill
That is interesting Bill. I too have a 26BH and don't experience that same issue. I have never looked closely at how they are plumbed, but I haven't had any issued getting both tanks full at nearly the same time. Yes my forward tank fills first, but only 1-2 minutes before the rear tanks fills. This is based on noticing when the first overflows starts flowing and then the second. We have dry camped several times where having a full load of water has been important and nothing has given me the indication I am not getting the tanks full. Right now it is in storage, but we have a trip planned after the first of the year and I'll take a closer look at how the two tanks are plumbed and vented.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
That is interesting Bill. I too have a 26BH and don't experience that same issue. I have never looked closely at how they are plumbed, but I haven't had any issued getting both tanks full at nearly the same time. Yes my forward tank fills first, but only 1-2 minutes before the rear tanks fills. This is based on noticing when the first overflows starts flowing and then the second. We have dry camped several times where having a full load of water has been important and nothing has given me the indication I am not getting the tanks full. Right now it is in storage, but we have a trip planned after the first of the year and I'll take a closer look at how the two tanks are plumbed and vented.
Maybe Jayco redesigned the tank plumbing connections on the 2012 models. Mine is a 2011.

Bill
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #69

It is amazing to me that this hasn't been fixed at the factory yet. We KNOW that the company reads these posting...are they just ignoring such a dumb engineering mistake as this?
This problem has been going on for several YEARS now. C'mon Jayco, this is an easy fix, so FIX it!!!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #70

Well add me to the list. I have a 2013 33 RLDS and lost 1/3 of my water from the fill station and the 1/2 mile to the site. I lost even more as the site was un- level and I had to lift the front all the way up with 6 inches of wood under jack to get off it off my TV. Searched and found this thread. I will probably do the remote valves as my vent hoses are pretty far under behind the tires.

I also gashed my thigh open getting out of my chair at the table as the bottom edges are razor sharp.
Other than that, we had a good time first trip out !!!

Mike

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote