Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 15
Donnie, are your low point drains closed? those low point drains will purposly drain your system... you must close those when you fill, you shouldn't lose more than about 1/3..... I don't know about Jayco but when you fill the water tank on a hot day the tank will swell or expande... not like a balloon but it will "overfill". I had a sports master and filled the tank to the top and after a couple trips with the full tank i looked and realized the metal brackets were streatching and sagging... if they break i would have a disaster.. i drained the tank and took those out then bolted square tubing instead of the flimsy angle iron.... I don't know if jayco builds a stronger bracket system but something to check... water is heavy and if you only pull your trailer down a smooth hiway when its full then your probably ok... if your tank is full you hit a couple bad roads then you are putting a lot of stress on the brackets... just food for thought...
__________________

__________________
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2003 GMC Duramax Crew Cab
Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Donnie, are your low point drains closed? those low point drains will purposly drain your system... you must close those when you fill, you shouldn't lose more than about 1/3..... I don't know about Jayco but when you fill the water tank on a hot day the tank will swell or expande... not like a balloon but it will "overfill". I had a sports master and filled the tank to the top and after a couple trips with the full tank i looked and realized the metal brackets were streatching and sagging... if they break i would have a disaster.. i drained the tank and took those out then bolted square tubing instead of the flimsy angle iron.... I don't know if jayco builds a stronger bracket system but something to check... water is heavy and if you only pull your trailer down a smooth hiway when its full then your probably ok... if your tank is full you hit a couple bad roads then you are putting a lot of stress on the brackets... just food for thought...
Yes my drains are closed I have never put my tanks over 2/3 yet. Most of the time I only put in 1/3 that should be more then enough to get me through a weekend .I dont know what the straps look like ,because the bottom is all in closed . Hey thanks for your reply.
__________________

donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Wish I had a solution. I have a 2009 26FB with a single tank and two overflow tubes. Mine holds just fine and have never seen it dump water along the way.
Where is your tank located? Is it long and flat or box like?
__________________

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 107
Have a call into Jayco, keep you updated.....
__________________

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 107
Alright, got a phone call back from Jayco. I asked if it would be OK to post what was said on this forum, I have permission.

There is a problem with "incorrect configuration" of the fresh tanks, this means the fill system is causing a blockage between the tanks when filling. This was an issue on the first units of the 22FB in production, he said if it below #90 on the serial number you may have this as an issue.
I have unit #2 of the 22FB, didn't know that!!!
Another culprit, there may be a vacuum building up in the tanks that releases itself after use, air gets trapped in the filling process, it just has to work itself out. Maybe having the fill side up may help to get a true fill.
He said that having shut-off valves on the overflow is the way to keep it filled when traveling. But have them OPEN while filling the tanks!

Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well.
__________________

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #36
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,656
"Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well."


I think you will find the sensors being unreliable will be an ongoing issue. Cleaning them may help for awhile but it will happen again. Mine are almost never right. Even the fresh tanksensor reads 2/3 when the tank is completely full!
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #37
Site Team
 
FPM III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fayette Ridges of PA, USA
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
...Mine are almost never right. Even the fresh tanksensor reads 2/3 when the tank is completely full!
It doesn't take much of a water loss before the tank indicates 2/3 as the full sensor is close at the top of the tank.

I've never had any problem with the water level indicator lights of my fresh water tank- only with the gray and black tanks. Their unreliability began within months after I purchased the TT. One time I did dump about 25 pounds of ice cubes down the toilet just before towing it to the next campground. This did make the level indicator lights seem to work again, but only for a short while. I generally don't even waste my checking the light indicators for the gray or black tank. I've had the TT for so long now that I know how many days I can last on each tank. If I'm wrong, the worst thing that happens is the water will back-up into the bathtub, but this has happened maybe once or twice. I never had the black tank back-up. To ensure it doesn't, I'll take a flashlight, open the toilet's blade and look down into the tank to see whenever I start to feel uncomfortable about the water level in the tank.

My fresh water tank's water level is easy to see visually because the tank is underneath the queen bed. The entire tank is exposed by lifting the bed so I can verify whether the level indicator lights are operating properly should I have any doubts.

When I fill the fresh water tank, I always visually watch the tank fill rather than use the level indicator lights because I can see when the tank is really approaching "full" and go outside to turn off the water when it starts exiting from the overflow. However, I realize that not everyone has this "luxury".
__________________
MODERATOR
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Aldergrove British Columbia
Posts: 815
FPM... My last trailer was like the one you mentioned. I was able to see the water filling the tank and could know when to turn off the hose. The tank sat underneath my dinette seat. I will have to spend more time on my new trailer, so far I've only stayed at parks with full hook ups. The fresh water system I haven't had to depend on yet. I like to travel with about 5-8 gallons of fresh water when I travel. Several years ago when I was pulling my old trailer through the Rockies I had a broken return spring on one of the trailer brakes. The water in my fresh water tank saved the day and allowed us to limp home by keeping the wheel from overheating.
__________________
Richard
2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Billings
Posts: 29
Talked to Tony at Jayco yesterday. They are aware of this problem. He said to take it to any service center I would like to, and have them call him for authorization to repair under warranty. The fix is to install two additional drain valves, one on each vent line, next to the main drain valve for the tank. Close them after filling and open them when you get to your destination. Sounds like a workable fix to me and Jayco was very responsive to my problem.
__________________
Guy
2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite Ht 265RKS
Reese Revolution Hitch
2003 F250 Super Crew Power Stroke 4x4
2014 Lund 1800 Tyee 175 Merc Verado 9.9 Pro Kicker
Dukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna B.C. Canada
Posts: 16
water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
Alright, got a phone call back from Jayco. I asked if it would be OK to post what was said on this forum, I have permission.

There is a problem with "incorrect configuration" of the fresh tanks, this means the fill system is causing a blockage between the tanks when filling. This was an issue on the first units of the 22FB in production, he said if it below #90 on the serial number you may have this as an issue.
I have unit #2 of the 22FB, didn't know that!!!
Another culprit, there may be a vacuum building up in the tanks that releases itself after use, air gets trapped in the filling process, it just has to work itself out. Maybe having the fill side up may help to get a true fill.
He said that having shut-off valves on the overflow is the way to keep it filled when traveling. But have them OPEN while filling the tanks!

Also, on the black tank level probe issue, he said to pour ice and vinegar down the pot and let it slosh around to clean the contacts. I'm sure that this will work on the gray tank probes as well.
Hello Jim ,
So if they changed or corrected the problem after # 90 and up, Then should they not have a fix for the problem ? Then let the dealers in on it so we can all get it fixed.I have taken my trailer out more then enough now to know that the vacuum action will not work its way out by it self .I have #99 and Im still having water issues .My trailer was taken back in to the dealer today. They are trying to figure it out for me .Im not sure why they have two tanks , who needs 80 gallons of water. I would be happy with one 40 gallon tank, And move the fresh tank to the center of the trailer.later Don
__________________

donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.