Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #21

Jayco lists the ladders as a $120 option.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #22

My Jayflight 26BH has a factory installed ladder. I'd actually prefer that it didn't. It's a cheap, flimsy ladder, and results in having more holes in the trailer that need to be kept sealed. Like so many things in a trailer, it is built to the absolute bare minimum of what will be required of it.

I'd prefer to have a good quality, collapsible ladder stored in the pass through or in the bed of my pickup.

It's amazing what the dealer will charge for one of these ladders after your purchase. If the ladder wasn't attached to the trailer, I assure you, with my bare hands I could bend it into a small enough ball to fit inside a kitchen trash can. And I don't claim to be strong. There's no way I could destroy an aluminum ladder from Lowe's with my bare hands.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
umteen Jaycos and we finally have one with a ladder. Cool! Well, i really don't care if it has one or not. If i need to get on the roof, the wife holds the foldable ladder and i get on the roof. Having a factory installed ladder does not make an Rv better than another!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:50 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdude79 View Post
What would it take/cost to get one? I have a '17 245RLSW w/ no ladder, though I see some of the "Baja" editions with them. I'd like to add one. Thoughts?
In some cases members have inquired about adding ladders but found out the support under the siding is not there if they are not factory installed.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #25
Site Team

When we were looking to buy our Jay Flight back in 2012, the second time we went out in the lot to look at it again, we noticed no ladder, and no spare tire on the back. I asked the salesman if they take the spares off so they don't get stolen? He replied that it didn't COME with a spare tire OR ladder, they would cost "extra". To which I replied "if you want to sell us this TT, install them on your nickel." They were there when we picked it up, no charge to us. Maybe we just have a really nice dealer. That's why we look at campers more than once, before signing papers.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdude79 View Post
What would it take/cost to get one? I have a '17 245RLSW w/ no ladder, though I see some of the "Baja" editions with them. I'd like to add one. Thoughts?
My 2012 5er didn't have a ladder so I sent an email to Jayco (along with my VIN) and asked for a framing schematic of the back. What they sent me showed wood blocking available for a ladder. I bought the ladder from Stromberg Carlson for about 100 bucks and installed it myself. Not the most sturdy ladder around but it works. Also, if you do this, the drawings from Jayco are in inches with decimals so it takes some deciphering to get the exact measurements ("measure twice, drill once" ).
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #27

I noticed a couple posts that said the roof and floor on SLX models were weaker than regular Jay Flight models. Just thought I'd say the mfg sheet I got from the dealer for my 7' wide, single axle SLX 195RB lists "Floor, Plywood Tongue & Groove" and "Roof, Magnum Truss System". I think that's the same as the regular Flight models.

In any case, I don't plan to walk around on my roof, unless it's an emergency. Most things can be handled from a free-standing ladder.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #28

SLX uses osb on the roof vs. jay flight is plywood.
cleazenby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #29

The ladder was part of the elite package on my 2016 Jay Flight. It has since become a standalone option on 2017/18 models. I wouldn't be without it. It's convenient to not have to set up a ladder every time I want to go up on the roof. Plus I really don't want to have to store a 12' ladder at my seasonal site. I already keep a 6 footer around for cleaning the exterior walls.