Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet jack View Post
What is the proper way to watch Netflix or Amazon prime off my iPhone and directly into the TV? Do you go through the radio USB port or the HDMI outlet on the TV?
You can buy an iPhone connector or dongle that is Lightening to HDMI. We use one to stream stuff from our phones or iPads to the 15' HDMI cable I leave plugged into the side of the TV when WiFi is unavailable.

And we replaced our less than stellar performing TV with a Smart Roku TV form Costco. So much better...
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #42
Site Team

My iPhone 7 says it won’t allow incoming calls when the hotspot is in use. I have never checked it but I also have never received a incoming call when it’s in use.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #43
CAG

I have found that with a BlueRay DVD that has all of the apps, Netflix, Amazon (be careful with Sony, it does not have the Amazon app) I simply bring up Netflix, or whatever, use the Hotspot as the WiFi and open Netflix/Amazon. As long as you are within 30 feet or so of the TV you do not need a cable limiting your use of the phone. Smart TV will do the same thing.

Trying to WiFi from RV park systems is a waste of time and effort.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #44

Got it. Thanks.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #45
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My iPhone 7 says it won’t allow incoming calls when the hotspot is in use. I have never checked it but I also have never received a incoming call when it’s in use.
Time for a new phone. The cameras are better on the 11 anyway. The price will drop on them soon with new Iphones coming out.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #46

There are three ways to watch Netflix, for example, on your TV using your cellphone. First pair your TV with your phone using the phone's Hotspot feature. In this case, you will be using the Netflix app on your Smart TV and hotspot data on your phone. The second way to to hard wire your phone to the TV using an HDMI cable and an adapter such as a USB-C to HDMI adapter. Use this method is to project what you are displaying on your phone onto your TV. This allows you to use phone data rather than hotspot data on your phone. I have had varying results with this method. The third way is to wirelessly stream the contents you are displaying on your phone to your TV. You pair the Smart View feature on your TV with the Smart View or Screen Cast feature on your phone. In this case, you are using phone data rather than hotspot data. In the last two cases, I have found downloading the content that you want to watch will give you a better picture than streaming it.
BDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #47

Trick question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet jack View Post
What is the proper way to watch Netflix or Amazon prime off my iPhone and directly into the TV? Do you go through the radio USB port or the HDMI outlet on the TV?

It's a trick question! There is no proper way to watch Netflix because Netflix STINKS!! I was OK with it when it was $9.99 a month. Now it's $12.99 a month, the content stinks, the movies are awful, etc. If you don't mind old movies or new movies that stink, go for it. There are better viewing options out there.

That said, there's several ways to watch streaming media from your phone to your TV:
* Smart TV (TV with smart features)
* Blue Ray player (with smart features)
* 3rd party plug in device (Roku, Firestick, Chromecast)

Caveats:
* WIFI is near impossible when camping. If you can get a site signal, it'll be slow.
* If you're tethering from your cell phone, you're limited to your cellular signal.
* Even if you get a cell signal, you're still talking about streaming video - which means lots of KB of data eating up your plan. You could potentially go over your data plan if you're not careful. (not to mention eating up cell phone battery. Better keep it plugged in to the charger the whole time.)

Best option:
* Free TV (OTA) if there's a signal
* DVD/Blue Ray movies
* Go outside and enjoy nature. Who goes camping to watch Netflix anyhow? LOL

Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDScott View Post
In this case, you are using phone data rather than hotspot data.

Isn't hotspot data and phone data the same thing?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
With my provider, it's the same pocket!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #50
CAG

Quote:
Not with all and some of it can be confusing.

My plan has unlimited data and no throttling on all phones however my Ipad, which actually has an assigned phone number, has unlimited data and 10 gigs of hotspot data. My apple watch, which also has an assigned phone number, is considered a phone so it has unlimited/no throttling.

Your guess is as good as mine why.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #51
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
With my provider, it's the same pocket!
Mine too... Verizon/Android..

It pulls data from the same pool.

Never heard of a provider separating data, all phones I've seen it's calls/texts/data, that's it.

It must be an iPhone thing, so they can gouge/charge more for some data usage.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post

Snippety snip.

Best option:
* Free TV (OTA) if there's a signal
* Go outside and enjoy nature. Who goes camping to watch Netflix anyhow? LOL

Good Luck!
OTA is great. We watch a lot of MeTv in the evenings(old shows). Local news in the AM.

As for Netflix....When it’s 300 degrees and humid in the afternoon, Netflix is fantastic.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Old 07-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #53
CAG

Quote:
Mine too... Verizon/Android..

It pulls data from the same pool.

Never heard of a provider separating data, all phones I've seen it's calls/texts/data, that's it.

It must be an iPhone thing, so they can gouge/charge more for some data usage.
Verizon and IPhone but it is the same no matter what phone. The plan is one you cannot get to or see anyway. Its an LE thing.The "pool" is unlimited everything including while International. Just the Ipad plan has slightly different rules. I don't make those rules and Verizon must have some reason for it. Does not make any difference with tethering it to the phone anyway.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
You can buy an iPhone connector or dongle that is Lightening to HDMI. We use one to stream stuff from our phones or iPads to the 15' HDMI cable I leave plugged into the side of the TV when WiFi is unavailable.

And we replaced our less than stellar performing TV with a Smart Roku TV form Costco. So much better...

Finally picked up a dongle for my iPhone. Works great. No fiddling with faking out my google dongle to think it’s on a network. Works great with every streaming app I have. Only hitch was Netflix. I have to start a downloaded show and then plug in dongle. Beyond that, it’s great. Thanks for the suggestion.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
Old 02-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #55

Hey there, guys!! Bringing this thread back2life. I'm currently looking for a free alternative to Netflix. I don't have enough money to pay for their subscription now. Any advice would be appreciated!!
MarkNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:56 PM   #56
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNolan View Post
Hey there, guys!! Bringing this thread back2life. I'm currently looking for a free alternative to Netflix. I don't have enough money to pay for their subscription now. Any advice would be appreciated!!

So you are looking for an illegal hack to Netflix? Sorry but if you are looking into hacking Netflix or other legal on-line streaming options I think you might be on the edge of what is proper for this an other sites.

There are free streaming options but hacking legal pay sites is a violation of FCC laws and regulations. The Feds take a dim view of those who do that.

A Google search for options to pay for view sites such as Netflix, Apple, Peacock, and others are available.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:24 PM   #57

I dont know if I would totally call this free as you need to buy a Roku first (one time charge). You can usually find one for around $30-45. They have their Roku channel that is 100% free. It actually has a ton of live TV channels and usually has movies etc..

There is also a free app/channel that you can add to the Roku called Tubi, and they have older TV series and movies.

Of course the Roku does require an internet connection and that is not free, but Netflix required that as well..
Old 02-14-2023, 07:26 PM   #58

Get an Amazon Fire TV stick for 20 or 30 bucks. You'll need an internet connection, but even without having an Amazon Prime account, there's a ton of free options you can watch. I just watched Clint Eastwood movie, Heartbreak Ridge, on one of the free channels. TUBI, I think.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:28 PM   #59

Check out Pluto TV and Sling Free. Both are free and legit, ad sponsored so you will have commercials in exchange for the free service. ~CA

https://www.sling.com/freestream
Old 02-15-2023, 07:35 AM   #60

Everyone poo poos Rabbit ears these days.

I HD antenna, maybe $20, if your RV dosent have one, but most do. In PHX we get over 80 local channels, in Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast I'd get close to that too.

And 110% get a Roku. Even the cheap $20 HD is amazing. Tons of free channels on it, apps, etc.
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote