Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Ahhhh....Are we done yet?..... Read on

We overnighted at Jayco Service last night, they have two 50a hookups/water fill and dump station adjacent. A 6a appt, around 6:15a, service writer arrives. They were done by 10:30a this morning. Long story short—Rather than a Jayco recommended complete sidewall replacement and two months without our home, we elected to have a surface expansion joint installed on our 3rd crack. It covers the direction of the crack. They cut out the path of the crack perimeters, ours was rather straight after 10 months, 7151 miles, and roughly 4” long. They fill with sealant and use same material as front cap trim and then seal with what looks like black atv sealant for flexing.

The bedroom slide seals rather well at the joint. I’m happy that this saga is now over.

However, we just learned there is a recall on the leaf springs. Has anyone heard of this? Last week, we discovered our postmaster found a recall letter that arrived in our mailbox back home. Didn’t know what for until today at Jayco. So they are going to replace the 6 layer 7k leaf springs with 7 layer 8k leaf springs and new wet bolts. This might happen sometime next month, since we’re in Ft Wayne til Oct 31. Our 5th wheel has always been extremely bouncy in the rear on rough highways, to the point of tires boing our on the kitchen slide tearing through the membrane and skidding the plywood. I am now wondering how all this excessive bouncing could have placed undue stress in the sidewall crack area in the first, second and third place?

Before
Attachment 62286

After
Attachment 62287
Attachment 62288

Interesting. We spent the night there last Thursday and dropped it off Friday. Our repair window officially started yesterday. It’s scheduled for one month but told me they usually don’t take that long. I was not given this option. Was told they are replacing the entire wall. Also fixing a hole in floor from bolt head and potential leak at the toilet. It would seem that they take each unit case by car in what they do because there was a pinnacle getting the same repair (just front section of wall removed and stiffening gussets added) when I was there. Here is the pinnacle. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	62337

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #402

You would think if this has been going on for years with various brands of RV's, that they would have come up with a solution during the build phase !! I would think extra bracing in the walls around this particular side would have helped. This is my first 5th wheel and this is the first I am hearing of these stress cracks.
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdriver View Post
You would think if this has been going on for years with various brands of RV's, that they would have come up with a solution during the build phase !! I would think extra bracing in the walls around this particular side would have helped. This is my first 5th wheel and this is the first I am hearing of these stress cracks.

Jayco has been battling it since at least as early as 2008.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #404

We put an order in last month for a NP310rlts. I emailed Jayco and asked about this problem and if they were able to just go ahead and put the additional brackets in our unit as it was being built. The response was that they had only a few isolated cases with the 36ssws a few years back. 🤥
Rambling Drabek’s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #405

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Wow, I am shocked! I was rooting for the ‘20 models and their new owners. Thought they update that area with reinforcements. And they wanted to replace our third crack with a whole new sidewall, with supposedly more rigid bracing in that area?
Call your Jayco dealer and/or Jayco Service ASAP and get in line. You should be allowed to choose the repair form option. They are still incorporating new reinforcement strategy in the ‘21 sidewalls along with what they proposed would’ve been installed in our new sidewall and my guess after COVID delays, and first models are just now getting delivered, so it’ll be a while to see how they hold up.

After 3 cracks, I’m not convinced any amount of reinforcement is going to make it crack proof. I’m glad we finally got the expansion joint, even though at a slant. This should be the end chapter of the issue.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Drabek’s View Post
We put an order in last month for a NP310rlts. I emailed Jayco and asked about this problem and if they were able to just go ahead and put the additional brackets in our unit as it was being built. The response was that they had only a few isolated cases with the 36ssws a few years back. 🤥

I guess I feel isolated, then.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #407

They need to look at their online forum if that's what they are thinking !!
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #408

Well 1y5months and 6,000mi my crack is back!
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #409

Sidewall crack study-what’s your setup?

So if one needed to pay for the expansion joint method what would be the approximate cost? I know there are several variables involved in an exact price. I am just looking for a ballpark price to fix fiberglass around the crack and put in the expansion joint.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #410

Sidewall crack study-what’s your setup?

My guess is the real cost would be less than $50.
About $1 for the molding plus the hourly rate for a tech to cut the crack and glue on the molding.
What the dealership would try to charge is another story.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #411

New to the forum. I read up a lot on here and wanted to share that I too have the dreaded crack. Have about 6K miles on the RV. Just noticed after arriving at the CS. 2018 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH. warranty was up 4-20-18! I called Jayco and they got back with me and said they would cover the repairs if I could deliver the unit to Vogt RV in Fort Worth (6 hour trip) I am scheduled for November 30th after our last trip of the year. The service person I spoke with said this is not uncommon and they have done many repairs, he also said they have a pretty good track record so we will see.

2018 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2017 Ford F350 SRW Diesel
Moryde Pin
B&W OEM Puck Hitch
AirBags
Clay Hayslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #412

We went for crack rehab to Vogt RV this July and were very pleased. Since the time we booked the appointment last year and they time we showed up, they had a new Service Manager, Robb Lidlicker. He has lots of years industry experience, just new to this dealer. His staff and Asst. Manager have all they years experience with Jayco and crack repairs on several brands.

During the visit he noticed some troubles with our bedroom slides that were not immediately urgent but would need attention so we are booked to return January 2021. We are really happy with Vogt.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #413

Just left Jayco this morning after my second repair. Drove 4 hours to stop for the night. The crack is back. Jayco had it for the last two months and replaced the entire wall. So much for the “new design that won’t crack”. I specifically asked them to put the relief crack in and was told no.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #414

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
That is just terrible news to hear that it cracked in literal record time...and with the so-called new wall technology. This is madness. They owe you one BIG apology on bended knee. And even then, that isn’t going help the long 2 month wait you endured. They also wanted to do the same with our rig, and we said hell no, that is just starting over again. Three cracks is enough for anyone to go through. They now owe you what you originally demanded. It only takes them 3 hrs. It is now clear that Jayco has no more tricks to push onto their customers for a reliable lasting sidewall crack repair solution and should now be putting in an expansion joint after anyone suffers a first crack. I can’t imagine what their workers think about all of this of the same rigs coming back again and again.

My heart goes out to you and yours. Make Jayco do what’s right.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Just left Jayco this morning after my second repair. Drove 4 hours to stop for the night. The crack is back. Jayco had it for the last two months and replaced the entire wall. So much for the “new design that won’t crack”. I specifically asked them to put the relief crack in and was told no.

Man that stinks. Sorry to hear you had your crack reappear so quickly. Knock on wood, ours has not reappeared after getting ours back from Jayco about a year ago. However, I do have shocks on the trailer and an air ride hitch that I believe help mitigate the jarring forces that can cause the crack.

Hopefully Jayco will step up and make it right for you.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #416

x2 on the shocks and air (In my case pinbox).
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #417

2019 321 RSTS Cracked!

Gents,

Let’s just say I am NOT a happy camper. Recently noticed the sidewall crack on my 2019 321 RSTS. Let’s see how this plays out with a 3 year structural warranty.....

I tow with a 2018 GMC Denali HD Dually with factory puck and a 20K B&W companion hitch. Into toes like a dream and I love my setup. We have travelled approximately 14,000 miles since our purchase in Spring of 2019 but didn’t notice crack until Spring of COVID.

I’m hoping Jayco stands behind this issue and takes care of me. Have already been to Middlebury for repairs to kitchen and dining room slide. We were treated like royalty the last time by Jayco so hoping for a similar experience.

Thanks,

Tom
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #418

Wow, not heard of this on a 321RSTS. I also have a 2019 and keep a close watch for this. I do not believe the 3 year structure warranty was in place for the 2019 model. It did not start until 2020 models. I hope I am wrong. I had this happen to my last FW which was an Open Range. They added an expansion joint and every thing was good after that. Keep us posted please.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #419

Jayco’s Response and fix to sidewall crack

Guys,

Received an email from dealer with Jaycos’s response to my sidewall crack. They are asking repair shop to prepare quote based on attached “fix” for authorization to move forward.

Note the date on the notes for the fix! This fix was first introduced in 2008! You would think they would modify the engineering on the build to eliminate these issues from the factory. Reviewing the fix myself I would have to guess this repair will cost between $10,000-$20,000!

Im hoping the estimate will get done in the next several days and we will see how Jayco elects to move forward with this. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slide_Out_Crack_Repair_Kit_Info..pdf (122.4 KB, 42 views)

Tom and Beth Impey
North Attleboro MA
2019 Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS
2018 Denali HD DRW
Timpey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #420

OMG. Slide 11 shows the 45 degree angled support tube that will take the stress And flex out of the side wall joint and they have a note on the drawing “this may not be on every unit”. Wonderful. I don’t see how welding a small plate to the bottom joint will help. You will just transfer the flex past that point. They need a larger plate welded Past this point and over the 45 degree tube if it is present.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote