Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Someone else on the forum is headed to Vogt in feb or March to have theirs done too. I think they do a number of them based a conversation I had with my service guy.

We are dropping ours off at Vogt on Memorial Day. 2 weeks. Had a good conversation with service manager Cliff & he sounded confident. Don't know the number but they have done a bunch of these.

Our crack hasn't changed a bit since we found it in the summer. We stay a month at any site, so not a lot of miles on it.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #382

The crack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
There seems to be a lot more members who have experienced the sidewall/stress crack of late. I do not believe there to be any correlation between what setup you have and your likelihood of getting the crack. As an unscientific study, I would like you to state your TV, hitch (when crack showed up) pin box, airbags on truck?, and how long it took for the crack to develop (time or miles) to see if we can find some common thread for those with cracked sidewalls.

2014 Ford F-350 with airbags
Curt Q25
Stock MorRyde pin box
About a year(less than 6k miles)
Hey Magnolia Tom, just thought I would chime in and give you my info. We drove to Ala. to buy this 2017 NP 381dlqs. Bought it pulled it back to Tx., No prob. About 6 months later we head to West of Missoula, Mont. into Idaho. Stayed there a month. On our way home, maybe Co. er were getting on the on ramp, gathering speed and all of a sudden I crossed a cattle guard and it hit hard. Got home and noticed I had the dreadful crack. It’s still there so far.
2018 Ford F-350 4x4 8’ bed. Airlift air bags running 55lbs. Companion B&W *5th wheel hitch. Lippert King Pen. Gladiator 245/80R17 Trailer. Just installed Fox shocks and double steering stabilizers. (Death Wobble). I just don’t know weather get the crack fixed or leave it. I was wondering the people that are having these cracks fixed, is Insurance paying for the repairs. By the way, we are full timers Good Day!
Bwanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 AM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwanajohn View Post
Hey Magnolia Tom, just thought I would chime in and give you my info. We drove to Ala. to buy this 2017 NP 381dlqs. Bought it pulled it back to Tx., No prob. About 6 months later we head to West of Missoula, Mont. into Idaho. Stayed there a month. On our way home, maybe Co. er were getting on the on ramp, gathering speed and all of a sudden I crossed a cattle guard and it hit hard. Got home and noticed I had the dreadful crack. It’s still there so far.

2018 Ford F-350 4x4 8’ bed. Airlift air bags running 55lbs. Companion B&W *5th wheel hitch. Lippert King Pen. Gladiator 245/80R17 Trailer. Just installed Fox shocks and double steering stabilizers. (Death Wobble). I just don’t know weather get the crack fixed or leave it. I was wondering the people that are having these cracks fixed, is Insurance paying for the repairs. By the way, we are full timers Good Day!

Most people with these repairs are getting them fixed under warranty as the crack usually appears within the 2 year timeframe.

If you are still within your warranty period, I’d call your dealer to start the process of getting a repair. If you are outside the warranty, I’d call Jayco directly and explain your situation. They have done repairs (for a variety of issues) for some folks who were outside warranty but not everyone gets this courtesy. YMMV

Good luck

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #384
CTP

What was the process to document the crack and get it repaired by Jayco or on Jayco’s dime?
Our 2018 has a crack in the same bedroom slide corner. Problem is we live in SE Alaska and there are no RV dealers or repair facilities.

Ours occurred after 3 weeks on the road and about 3k miles.
1st trip after delivery.
2018 377 rlbh
2018 ram, 3500, drw. No airbags. Andersen hitch

Just saw the post above, I’ll get in touch with Jayco. We were just inside the 2 year when the crack occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
59FA4F05-BD4E-4E2D-AD34-CC140DDE654A.jpg  
CTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTP View Post
What was the process to document the crack and get it repaired by Jayco or on Jayco’s dime?
Our 2018 has a crack in the same bedroom slide corner. Problem is we live in SE Alaska and there are no RV dealers or repair facilities.

Ours occurred after 3 weeks on the road and about 3k miles.
1st trip after delivery.
2018 377 rlbh
2018 ram, 3500, drw. No airbags. Andersen hitch

Just saw the post above, I’ll get in touch with Jayco. We were just inside the 2 year when the crack occurred.
CTP, I have only heard of very few of the crack being on the back side of slide. Take a picture with like newspaper showing date, then contact Jayco. Send the picture so they can record the date. Then when you can get somewhere to get it fixed, there should not be a problem, I hope! My isn’t fixed! I was almost out of warranty and second owner so I figured I was SOL!!! Good luck! The front end isn’t gonna fall off, I hope! Good luck!!!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #386
CTP

Bwanajohn, the pic is sideways. I currently lack the skills to rotate.
The crack is in the front corner of the slide.
This occurred about 3k miles into a 5500-mile road trip.

As you can see in the pic I drilled a hole to try and stop the crack, but it didn't work. Hooked up the crack would open up and it pushed through the first hole. When we drop the feet and unhitch the crack tightens up.

I have pictures with date stamps so hopefully that will suffice.
I’ll keep y’all informed of the progress with Jayco.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #387

2017 North Point 381dlqs 40 ft. Air bags 50-60 lbs. 2018 f350 4x4 8ft bed. Companion hitch. We went to Idaho from Texas over some pretty rough roads. No crack! I think in Co. I had stopped for fuel and getting back on Interstate and we crossed a cattle guard that had a I bet a 6-8” riser and we hit that hard, the dogs got up, I said what the hell was that, looked review mirror and saw cattle guard! I’ve crossed a lot of them in my travels but this one was just unbelievable unreal! Anyway the next couple days after, I noticed the crack and I immediately thought of the cattle guard! But I’m second owner and 2 yr warranty had just expired in Aug. last year. So, do you fix it or leave it? We boondocks a lot being fill timers and don’t want to waste the money if it comes back! Any thoughts on this will be welcomed!,,
Old 05-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #388

Sorry, had forgotten I had already addressed this issue! Damn it! I’m getting old!!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #389

So after 21k miles and 3.5 years I finally have the bedroom crack.... now to figure out if I contact Jayco, deal with extended warranty that I got that is probably useless, or just let it go and put some caulk on it... any recommendations?

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #390

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Sidewall crack study-what’s your setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmiddlebrooks View Post
So after 21k miles and 3.5 years I finally have the bedroom crack.... now to figure out if I contact Jayco, deal with extended warranty that I got that is probably useless, or just let it go and put some caulk on it... any recommendations?
oops, tried a later edit and the system ditched the rest of my story. So here goes again.
I feel your pain as well as many others here. So sorry to hear it finally found your rig too. Amazing to hear your rig held up for 21k miles! Was about 5k till crack 1, another 11k till crack 2, then last Oct >700 mi till crack 3. We’re trying Vogt RV this time around on Jun 22 (had them booked since Jan) and last Friday we got a sad note from Vogt that Jayco denied us twice already! So Vogt and us are discussing with higher ups at Jayco about the whole saga and we told both that Jayco Service will not get a third time on this, we’re going with Vogt.

So if Jayco says to take a hike, we’ll get with a company(can’t remember their name)near Houston area that specializes in putting expansion joints in for $1100 in ten days and no more issues. I’m just beside myself at this point and hope we hear some good news in a couple days.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #391

So today, here is the update from Vogt RV concerning our 3rd sidewall crack repair: Vogt will not be authorized by Jayco to repair the latest crack on our rig according to their current crack procedure. Vogt already ordered and rec’d all the parts. Instead, Jayco service wants the entire rig towed back (at their expense) after the camping season for a 2 month long complete sidewall replacement. OMG, what kind of dicey new strategy is Jayco trying to make here? Anyone heard of this lately? This is our fulltime home and we are not happy with that decision that will put us out for two whole months! Several questions come to mind: is this a new old stock sidewall? How is a new sidewall going to put an end to the crack situation? This is like starting over. And how are they re-making new sidewalls for 2017 models? We didn’t see any wall making process at the factory tour back in March 2016. Just a cart with a dozen sidewalls ready to go for the assembly line. It’s obviously made somewhere else and trucked in, just like the Lippert frames. And if it is truly re-made, structurally re-engineered to be a final solution, what new secret structural ingredient would be applied that isn’t being applied right now to the small area that’s affected to tie up an absolute major expense that Jayco is now willing...wouldn’t that CNC machine and the workers required tie up the current 2020 production line? This is just proposturous to address a small crack to tear out and replace the entire wall, and they still say NO to an expansion joint that is the solution for all other major fifth wheel lines. Anyone care to pretend to guess how much this 2 month job would cost Jayco, not including r/t transport costs? Shoot, they already welded two new steel triangle braces in both propane compartments this last time and the crack returned inside 700 miles.

My head is spinning. I need a recliner seat and a cold brew! Tom, I bet you’re beside yourself hearing this, as a professional home remodeler. Also, Mark (MadJokerTX) if you see this- how did your whole entry sidewall replacement for delamination go last year? Take two months too?
Attachment 60106
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 06-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #392

Darin

If they’re willing to fix it, let them! Sure it’s a major PITA but at least you’re not having to pay for it. You’re going to be without your rig either way,but you won’t be paying for it to boot.

My suggestion would be to add shocks to the trailer if you don’t already have some, and consider an air ride hitch like the trailer saver or even the goose box. Knock on wood but my crack hasn’t returned since coming back from Jayco. Just a shot in the dark but you may even consider relocating the heavy telescopes from the front compartment to farther back to lighten up the pin some. I’m far from an expert but those are things I did to lessen the chance for a recurrence of the crack to my rig. Good luck

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #393

Thanks Tom for the great suggestions, however (edit) we didn’t have any astronomy equipment with us in the northeast when the third crack re-appeared,(end edit) but the DW originally said they would not get a third chance at it. We have some serious thinking to do ahead of this as we contemplate now heading up to Ft Wayne to see our girls each summer amid all this craziness of the pandemic.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #394

19 377
19 F350 dually no air bag
mor ride
B&W 18k hitch
washer dryer combo
no gen
4000lbs pin weight
2000 miles 1 month into US tour of 12 months
We noticed hairline crack today by bedroom slide like others on here. something I have not seen mentioned is my trailer was leaning about 1 " down on drivers side clearance from truck bed. I can't swear it was always like this though?
I am the 2nd owner since April 2020 so I don't know previous miles.
2 questions,
As 2nd owner does the warranty carry over or am i SOL?
Is this cosmetic or do i need to think about suspending my trip which would be a nightmare?
KD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #395

Very sorry to hear about the crack. It's very frustrating! As you have probably read in this thread its not uncommon. I would contact Jayco customer support but can pretty much guarantee they will not do anything since you are the second owner. If it were me I'd continue my trip. I'd drill a stop hole, put caulk in it and then deal with it when you eventually get home. In your case I'd probably take the expansion joint path to get it repaired. There is a thread here about the leaning as well.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-77722.html don't know if related to what you were referencing or not. Good luck.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD72 View Post
19 377
19 F350 dually no air bag
mor ride
B&W 18k hitch
washer dryer combo
no gen
4000lbs pin weight
2000 miles 1 month into US tour of 12 months
We noticed hairline crack today by bedroom slide like others on here. something I have not seen mentioned is my trailer was leaning about 1 " down on drivers side clearance from truck bed. I can't swear it was always like this though?
I am the 2nd owner since April 2020 so I don't know previous miles.
2 questions,
As 2nd owner does the warranty carry over or am i SOL?
Is this cosmetic or do i need to think about suspending my trip which would be a nightmare?
NO, don’t worry about the crack!!! Go and enjoy yourselves! Mine cracked last year about 8”. We r from Tx. And in Montana. It has grown 4 more inches since we left. The trailer will not fall apart!
Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #397

Mine came back about a year after Jayco fixed it. We are on a 3 week trip and it showed up the 4th or 5th day into it. Jayco is fixing it again and this time they said they replace the entire side wall. I’m dropping it off on the way back east.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #398

Ahhhh....Are we done yet?..... Read on

We overnighted at Jayco Service last night, they have two 50a hookups/water fill and dump station adjacent. A 6a appt, around 6:15a, service writer arrives. They were done by 10:30a this morning. Long story short—Rather than a Jayco recommended complete sidewall replacement and two months without our home, we elected to have a surface expansion joint installed on our 3rd crack. It covers the direction of the crack. They cut out the path of the crack perimeters, ours was rather straight after 10 months, 7151 miles, and roughly 4” long. They fill with sealant and use same material as front cap trim and then seal with what looks like black atv sealant for flexing.

The bedroom slide seals rather well at the joint. I’m happy that this saga is now over.

However, we just learned there is a recall on the leaf springs. Has anyone heard of this? Last week, we discovered our postmaster found a recall letter that arrived in our mailbox back home. Didn’t know what for until today at Jayco. So they are going to replace the 6 layer 7k leaf springs with 7 layer 8k leaf springs and new wet bolts. This might happen sometime next month, since we’re in Ft Wayne til Oct 31. Our 5th wheel has always been extremely bouncy in the rear on rough highways, to the point of tires boing our on the kitchen slide tearing through the membrane and skidding the plywood. I am now wondering how all this excessive bouncing could have placed undue stress in the sidewall crack area in the first, second and third place?

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7874.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	62286

After

Name:	IMG_7951.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	62287

Name:	IMG_7950.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	62288
Old 08-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #399

Sidewall crack study- my setup

2020 North Point 377RLBH (currently 9 months old). Began noticing the crack about 5 months after delivery. Maybe 1500 miles towing by that time (all on flat roads as well as flat camping pads). Pull it with a Ford F-350 DRW, B&W 25k hitch, no air bags, washer/dryer combo in bedroom closet, 5500 Watt generator, and a MORryde on the camper. Crack is on the bedroom slide (forward end & lower part of the box).

Wish I had read about this issue before I ordered a new Jayco !! I would have likely went to some other brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Aug- 2020.jpg  
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #400

Other brands have had the same problem...my friend in St Louis has an Open Road....same problem.....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote