Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #21

A 1400/14000 hitch is not too much for a 28BHBE. I run an Andersen hitch that is rated for 1400/14000 and it works great with our Silverado 3500HD. Our average tongue weight with full FWT is approx 120lbs. (We almost always boondock) The hitch came with a 4" drop/rise shank. I am set on the lowest holes in the rise position. TV/TT combination runs straight and level.
Happy Camping

Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #22

Now here is an interesting way around this problem with the hitch height, its still a class 5 hitch but with a 2" opening and its 3" closer to the ground. Fits under the current one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C15409.html

This would likely make everything I have now work with the 3" drop shank, and avoid the reducer. Now I just have to decide if this looks silly or not

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #23

I have a 2016 23MBH that I tow with a 2015 Ram 2500. The 23MBH sits at the same height as the trailer your have, at least the ones I have seen did. I have to set my ball at 24" for the trailer to tow level using a Curt TruTrack hitch. This required me getting a 12" shank ball mount as the one that came with the TruTrack kit did not have enough drop.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
This would likely make everything I have now work with the 3" drop shank, and avoid the reducer. Now I just have to decide if this looks silly or not
ya, I have a Dodge truck, and there's no way I would do that, it doesn't look right

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Great information thank you! I have seen those tailgates and would prefer not to go that route. I agree now thinking it over about the aluminum, it will probably not hold up with the tongue weight.

I do not like the idea of using a reducer, but I guess with these trucks there are not many options.

You talk about a "smaller" Equalizer head and a longer bar to deal with the drop. Do I need to request longer bars from my dealer? I will be getting the Equalizer 10K, is there something else I should be telling my dealer to request this? Again I apologize for my ignorance as this is my first trailer and towing experience with my new Jayco 27BHS.
I would like to get some information about the stock equalizer "bars" and if the drop of the Ram will require me to purchase other bars than what comes stock with the 10K Equalizer.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #26

Quote:
I would like to get some information about the stock equalizer "bars" and if the drop of the Ram will require me to purchase other bars than what comes stock with the 10K Equalizer.
It's not the bars you need to worry about, it's the shank. You may need a deeper drop in your shank to accommodate the taller Ram truck. The hitch head, the spring bars and the spring bar hangers will all remain constant.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It's not the bars you need to worry about, it's the shank. You may need a deeper drop in your shank to accommodate the taller Ram truck. The hitch head, the spring bars and the spring bar hangers will all remain constant.
Thank you, at least that's one less thing to worry about. Heading out to dealer this week to see if I can get the WDH squared away.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank you, at least that's one less thing to worry about. Heading out to dealer this week to see if I can get the WDH squared away.
If I were you, I would download the instructions for whatever hitch or hitches you're likely to have installed and get REAL familiar with them. Watch the tech as he's installing your hitch and keep him honest. If he isn't taking a tape measure to your truck first thing (assuming the trailer is already level) then something's not right. The FIRST THING you do in ANY hitch setup is take measurements.

Remember that it's not that the truck needs to be leveled, it's that the trailer needs to be level AFTER weight has been returned to the front axle. That's the purpose of the hitch; to return weight to the front axle.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #29

Bought this shank and it looks like the 90-02-4900 - Fastway® 90-02-4900 - Equal-I-Zer Shank 2 1/2" - is going to work fine based on my measurements. It appears it needs to be between the very bottom setting and 1 hole up. The head seems very firm with very little slop in the receiver.

I ordered this online, most dealers in my area don't seem to stock them and they seemed to be sold at quite a markup. Going to get the camper this weekend I hope, looking forward to getting started with the season!

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #30

Well against my best judgement I trusted the tech, and I feel itbis installed incorrectly. At low speeds I feel a tugging action, almost like learching back and forth. Not horrible, but I can feel it. At higher speeds it is not noticeable. In thought it was a little nose high on purchase, but they told me it was good and that I would be loading supplies and that I did not want it low. Can anyone please tell me if that tugging is normal? This is my first trailer. The ball is so high that I have to lift the coupler up so high the fuse will blow in the tongue if I go more. I almost always have to have wood blocks underneath the tongue to give me the extra height. Again I have a ram 2500 6.4 and the Jayco 27BHS.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk